• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Fuel Options

dfrazz

Reaction score
I have a Mopar crate 360 in a '71 Challenger and am experiencing some rattling at high RPM's and ticking at idle after the engine is warm. I've had a couple of locals advise me to boost the fuel and use a lead substitute. I only had the car 2 months and only put in regular 87 octane. I'm curious what octane you run, if you add octane boost and/or lead substitute. Thanks for the responses.

burntorange70

Reaction score
Think you should be running 91 at the minimum in that motor. Also make sure you got it timed correctly if you have not all ready.

moparleo

Reaction score
Your engine has hardened exhaust valve seats so it doesn't need leaded fuel. As far as fuel octane needed, that will depend on the compression ratio, ignition timing, a/f ratio etc... There have been several different horsepower rating 360 crate motors sold over the years. If you bought the engine new it would have come with a spec sheet.

dfrazz

Reaction score
I checked the timing when I first got the car, it was at 12 degrees at idle at 36 total. Unfortunately, the motor was already in the car so I don't have a spec sheet. Thanks for the info on the 91 octane and not needing lead. Do you add any octane boost?

Back