• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Fuel Sending Unit Works Outside of Tank But Not In the Tank

Cratos

Reaction score
could a bad voltage limiter cause a low reading?? reads1/8 with 10 gallons in it .when I check the voltage it is all over the place but the other gauges seem fine??

Cratos

Reaction score
called tanks Inc again and finely got the to send another unit we'll see what happens I told them the old unit reads fine but the new one reads 1/8 when 1/2 full ( I had kept the old one for a back-up when I upgraded to the 3/8 line one)

Cratos

Reaction score
got the replacement same problem:( how can 1 read correct and two in a row not even be close????

money pit

Reaction score
got the replacement same problem:( how can 1 read correct and two in a row not even be close????
You may try what I did. I took a small hose clamp and attached it to the outlet of the sending unit. From the hose clamp I attached a wire and grounded it directly to the battery. I don't seem to have any problems now. I will try to send you a picture. Year One, sells a grounding strap for the sending unit. I think its about ten bucks.

Cratos

Reaction score
that did not help. tried it last week .I don.t understand why the old one works fine and the new ones don't? ?? driving me nuts!!

money pit

Reaction score
that did not help. tried it last week .I don.t understand why the old one works fine and the new ones don't? ?? driving me nuts!!
Do you remember what voltages you were seeing when you checked the voltage limiter? I think you should see a pulsating voltage of about 5.4 volts if I remember correctly. The second pic is an internal ground I found on one of the websites. Good luck.

Attachments

• sending unit.JPG
    sending unit.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 194
  • sending unit 2.JPG
    sending unit 2.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 189

Cratos

Reaction score
it pulses but I cannot read it that fast :) I ran the ground to the frame cross member

Huskidrive

Reaction score
When I put my car together I bought a new tank and sending unit from Year One. The gauge reads full when full but drops to 1/2 tank after driving about 25 miles. When it gets to empty I still have 8 gallons in the tank. I still have my original sending unit that I'm going to re-install. I'll take the new float and filter and put it on the original Mopar unit. From what I have been reading all the repops just don't work.......

gzig5

Reaction score
My understanding is that the new replacement potentiometers are wound linearly, and the originals were non-linear. I've seen pics where the old ones look like an hourglass and the new resistors are rectangular. There are afermarket boxes that will compensate. I unfortunately threw out my original sending unit with the old tank, but I think I have another one in a pile of parts I bought. Need to look into that this winter.

Tactical185

Reaction score
I had the same problem, drove me nuts.
I Searched amazon and purchased one for $62.00 w/ free shipping. Installed in the tank and it works perfectly. The sending units from CI are suspect?? Just my opinion and experience.

Back