• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Fuel system help please???

MelindaJB80

Reaction score
My husband and I are currently restoring a 1971 Barracuda which will eventually have a 440 in it. We are currently working on re-installing the entire fuel system, from the filler tube, gas tank, fuel lines all the way to the engine which is not yet installed. None of this was hooked up when we purchased the car. We have an idea how everything is supposed to go but we have been unable to find any exact instructions and we don't want to make any mistakes. This is our first restoration and we are learning as we go. So here are my questions if anyone can help!!!

1. Does anyone have any schematics for installing the fuel system including vent tubes, gaskets, vent line, fuel lines, etc? We have several books but none of them are very helpful and we want to make sure we do this right since you can't be too thorough with the fuel system. Any ideas?
2. We know that four of the tubes coming out of the vent tube connect with rubber fuel line to the gas tank. However, the fifth line runs up to the front of the car. Does anyone know where we can find this line pre-molded? We have found fuel lines, but not that fuel VENT line. Any ideas?
3. Once we run the vent line from the vent tube to the front of the car, where does this hook up? We have read about needing to also vent the carburetor bowl or something but we aren't sure what is accurate for the 1971 Barracuda that we have? Does anyone know specific to our car?

Sorry for all the questions but pretty green here. We have amazingly managed to do a lot so far and have learned a lot but this one is kind of stumping us! Help if you can please! Thanks!

MelindaJB80

Reaction score
Here are some pics of our trunk and a vent tube similar to ours:

image_1449530022168.jpg

moparleo

Reaction score
The best way to go is with preformed fuel lines. Here is some info on the vent lines.
http://www.allpar.com/fix/fuel/evaporation-control.html Several companies sell pre-bent lines for fuel, vapor, pump to carb , return lines ,brake lines etc... These lines come shipped with a large, gradual bend in the middle for shipping and only require carefully straightening the bend. They are pretty self explanatory as far as installing since the lines are bent to follow the original route from the rear to the front. These companies will need to know the engine size, carb brand and model, etc... Also the trunk looks very nicely detailed. It should be painted the body color though if you are interested in doing a factory correct finish. Keep up the great work and keep us posted on your restoration progress.

MelindaJB80

Reaction score
Mopars & Missiles - Thank you for taking the time to try and help us but I purchased these exact books for my husband when we started this venture. They have been very helpful in most things but not very helpful with the fuel system. That is why we are a little stumped.

moparleo - Thanks for your info and yes, we are going with preformed lines and they will be a huge help. However, once we install the ECS vapor line, what do we hook it up to? That's what we don't know. Does it hook up to a port on the valve cover? Also it talks about running another line to the "carburetor bowl", which we have no clue about either. This is what we are looking for help on! Any ideas??? We aren't doing an exact OEM restoration, and although the color looks purple in the pic, we have painted it a custom blue color and my husband wanted the trunk and engine bay to be painted black. Some things we will be sticking to OEM, but others we will be customizing. Odd I know, but this is a once-in-a-lifetime event for us that we've worked very hard to achieve and will never sell, so we want to have fun with it!

moparleo

Reaction score
The fuel lines are bent to match the factory stock engine, carb emissions system. It will be different depending on the state the car is made in . Is the engine going to be a factory O E restoration? If not, you will have to have custom lines made. As DetMatt1 says, a factory service manual is mandatory on the Mopar restoration.

Sixpaksteve

Reaction score
My husband and I are currently restoring a 1971 Barracuda which will eventually have a 440 in it. We are currently working on re-installing the entire fuel system, from the filler tube, gas tank, fuel lines all the way to the engine which is not yet installed. None of this was hooked up when we purchased the car. We have an idea how everything is supposed to go but we have been unable to find any exact instructions and we don't want to make any mistakes. This is our first restoration and we are learning as we go. So here are my questions if anyone can help!!!

1. Does anyone have any schematics for installing the fuel system including vent tubes, gaskets, vent line, fuel lines, etc? We have several books but none of them are very helpful and we want to make sure we do this right since you can't be too thorough with the fuel system. Any ideas?
2. We know that four of the tubes coming out of the vent tube connect with rubber fuel line to the gas tank. However, the fifth line runs up to the front of the car. Does anyone know where we can find this line pre-molded? We have found fuel lines, but not that fuel VENT line. Any ideas?
3. Once we run the vent line from the vent tube to the front of the car, where does this hook up? We have read about needing to also vent the carburetor bowl or something but we aren't sure what is accurate for the 1971 Barracuda that we have? Does anyone know specific to our car?

Sorry for all the questions but pretty green here. We have amazingly managed to do a lot so far and have learned a lot but this one is kind of stumping us! Help if you can please! Thanks!

Hi Melinda,

I have a 1970 Cuda with the 440/6 pack in it and I belive that many things are similar between our cars fuel-wise. I do agree with Dematt re his comment on you getting the factory service manual. It will help you immensely right now and years down the road for as long as you own the car. My preference is the 'old school' paper version, but I'm sure they're available for the 1971 on CD too. To try to help you now with your questions....

1. Looking at completed or even 'work in progress' cars that others have can be very helpful when trying to restore your own vehicle. If you go to this website which is the 'Sold' area at RK Motors down in Charlotte, NC you'll find about a dozen 1971 Cuda's that they have sold, and RK takes dozens of pics of every car they offer for sale. Access to the this site is free, and you can then 'pick and choose' what to duplicate in your car depending on the type of restoration you wish to do. http://www.rkmotorscharlotte.com/sales/inventory/sold#!/?utf8=✓&search[year_text_range]=1971+-+1971&search[make_id_eq]=516

2. The '5th line' you're referring to here I believe is the Fuel Return line, not a vent line. You can find the pre-bent lines MOPARLEO mentioned at a bunch of vendors like Year One, Jims Auto Parts, etc... Here's a link to Jims page which lists the Fuel Supply & Return lines for your car.... https://www.jimsautoparts.com/engine_fuel_parts.htm Note that the correct size of the fuel & return lines is determined by the engine size and carb on your vehicle.

3. The fuel return line is connected to the Fuel Vapor Seperator which attatches near your fuel pump at the front of the engine block. The pic I've attatched here is of a very correctly detailed 440 that has just been painted. You can see the fuel pump (which was painted engine color at the factory) and just in front of it is the black vapor seperator. Fuel to the carb(s) comes from the line on the top of the vapor seperator while the 2 connections on the bottom of the seperator are where your fuel pump line connects and where your fuel return line back to the gas tank connects. 6329392-70440-6fuelpumpandrouting.jpg

The steel fuel supply and fuel return lines will end about 1 foot away from the fuel pump & fuel seperator, so you'll also need the correct rubber fuel line to make all of your connections. The correct rubber gas line, clamps, pre-bent steel lines between the fuel pump and seperator, etc.... can all be found at many Mopar vendors. :)

Hope this helps....

6329392-70440-6fuelpumpandrouting.jpg

Last edited:

71Plym

Reaction score
On my 71 383, the fifth line is part of the vapour system, not a fuel return line. The line goes from the vent tube to a 3 nipple "canister" on the passenger side valve cover. There is a picture or schematic of the vapour system in the FSM.

Last edited:

MelindaJB80

Reaction score
Sixpaksteve, thanks for your help! Just to clarify, there are three fuel-type lines running the length of our car from rear to front. There is a 3/8" main fuel line running from the gas tank to the engine bay. There is a 1/4" return line also running from the gas tank to the engine bay. Then there is a third line, a 5/16" line running from the 5th port on the ECS vent tube (as its a California car) to the engine bay. This is what we weren't sure about. However, 71Plym is right. I have since learned on these forums that it will connect to a 3-nipple canister on the passenger side valve cover. This is what we weren't sure about. We DO have a factory service manual, and several other manuals but none of them helped with installing an entire fuel system from scratch. Thanks for your inputs as they've all been very helpful!

Sixpaksteve

Reaction score
I'm sorry Melinda. I didn't realize your car was a Calif. built car - those are slightly different animals. :)

Here's some pics I found on another site that might help.....

MVC-340S.jpgMVC-761S.jpgMVC-900S.jpgMVC-939S.jpgSDC16608.jpgSDC16612.jpg

MVC-340S.jpg

MVC-761S.jpg

MVC-900S.jpg

MVC-939S.jpg

SDC16608.jpg

SDC16612.jpg

js29

Reaction score
It is my understanding that in 1971 there were no 4 barrel 440's only 6 pack, 6 barrel's on E-body's. I don't know if that information is helpful to you or not. if your getting preformed lines I tough you might want to know that.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
It is my understanding that in 1971 there were no 4 barrel 440's only 6 pack, 6 barrel's on E-body's. I don't know if that information is helpful to you or not. if your getting preformed lines I tough you might want to know that.
I did not ever realize that but it's true, who'd of thought???

MelindaJB80

Reaction score
Oh boy, I'm getting a little overwhelmed here. Yes it's a California car. I grew up rebuilding motors with my Dad so I've always been a gear head but this is a bit above my pay grade!!!! We just purchased pre-formed lines (all three - the 3/8, 1/4 and 5/16) and I hope they work. We are putting a 440 in it but I don't know the carb system my husband is planning on. The car came factory with a 383 I think but he wanted something bigger. I didn't think about that changing the fuel lines. Oh well I guess we will cross that bridge... Won't be the first hiccup. Thanks everyone for your help...

Back