1. Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Fuel tank grommet R&R

Fuel and Air Systems

1. 70RTSE440

70RTSE440 Member

I would like to replace the grommet on my fuel tank on a 1970 Challenger where the fuel filler pipe goes into the tank. I think it leaks if and when I fill the tank full. I would like to do this without taking the tank out. I've taken the rubber cover off that's in the trunk that seals around the filler pipe. I can see and touch the grommet from there. It looks like it might be doable from there but I'm wondering if anyone else has ever done it. It would save a lot of time and work to not have to drop the tank.
    Thanks for any thoughts or help.

2. moparlee

moparlee Well-Known Member

Go for it, nothing to lose trying. If the tank has never been out, usually the hardest part is getting the fill tube out. But if the tank has never been out, now would be a good time to drop it out, clean it, and replace the filter on the sending unit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rapidfire

Rapidfire Well-Known Member

I would also replace the fuel tank insulator pad!

4. 70RTSE440

70RTSE440 Member

Thanks Moparlee and Rapidfire. Anyone else have any recommendations? Has anyone actually tried to replace the grommet without dropping the tank?

5. DetMatt1

DetMatt1 Well-Known Member

So easy to remove the tank as long as it’s empty.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steve340

Steve340 Well-Known Member

I think you may not have to drop the tank right down but you will need to take off the straps to allow the tank to "move away" from the filler tube so you can pull it out of the rubber.
    To get at the strap nuts I had to take off the rear valance panel. The nuts were rusty and frozen so I ended up cutting the originals and refitting reproductions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. 70RTSE440

70RTSE440 Member

Yeah, Projects like this on these 50 year old cars always turns into a lot more work that you originally think. Rusty bolts, removing more pieces, etc. That's why I was hoping to just replace the grommet without having to drop the tank. Next thing you know you're having to buy a bunch more parts and take the whole back end of the car apart.
    Thanks for all the help.

8. Daves69

Daves69 Well-Known Member

What's even worse is a grommet that don't really fit. I struggled with repop from one outfit on my A body and finally gave up. Did some research. Purchased one from DMT. Install was a piece of cake.

9. 70RTSE440

70RTSE440 Member

Who is DMT and where did the one that didn't fit come from? I was looking at getting one from Roseville Mopar.

10. Daves69

Daves69 Well-Known Member

I believe the loser came from Mega Parts.
    Detroit Muscle Tech is a sponsor here I believe........
    upload_2020-1-21_10-56-49.png

11. 70RTSE440

70RTSE440 Member

Thanks! I'll check it out. I just got a heater box rebuild kit from DMT. I actually bought it from Yearone but it was produced at DMT.

12. moparlee

moparlee Well-Known Member

I have always gotten good parts from DMT. But Roseville Mopar is also good, there grommet might even be from DMT.

13. 70RTSE440

70RTSE440 Member

I just ordered the grommet along with a couple of other gaskets I will be needing. It was cheaper than Roseville and the shipping charges were cheaper too. Looks like I'm committed now to replacing that damn grommet. Hopefully I don't end up having to take the rear valence off and dropping the gas tank and all the fuel lines and floats and sensors etc etc etc :).