• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Gas Smell inside Cabin "Re-stated."

Jim Moroz

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a restored 1973 Cuda 340 4 speed, with an Edelbrock 650 AVS 2 carb and while it runs good, during operation, we are getting a burn't gas/exhaust smell inside the car. Appreciate your help. Jim

IMG_1664.jpg

Last edited:

moparleo

Reaction score
It could be either or both. But in the meantime DO NOT Park it in your garage or any confined space. A small amount of vaporized fuel is very explosive and could burn your house down
What caused this issue to happen ? Out of the blue, no recent work around the fuel system ? Or what ?
Not seeing it or knowing what the timing is or how the carb is adjusted ? How do we answer ?

Mopars & Missiles

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a restored 1973 Cuda 340 4 speed, with an Edelbrock 650 AVS 2 carb and while it runs good, during operation, we are getting a gas smell inside the car. Wondering if it is a Timing Issue, running to rich? Appreciate your help. Jim

First thing to check would be the vent line for the fuel tank. It is in the trunk on the fuel fill tube on a '70 challenger, not sure if its different on a '73 cuda but if the vent line is NOT installed you'll get all kinds of nasty gas fumes in the passenger compartment. Just a thought.

Jim Moroz

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I know the vent line is hooked up, it connects to the gas tank and then through a line to the charcoal cannister. Everything is basically new on this car. I am going to have a mechanic look at the timing and carb settings. Jim

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Are the lower trunk drops sealed up completely as well as trunk seal & taillights , often fumes will enter back there ?
As most do I assume you just bolted the carb on out of the box , originally there were 100s of carbs tuned to each different motor & cam etc , You have to tune any carb , one size doesn't ever fit all

Jim Moroz

Reaction score
Thanks, will check the lower trunk drops and tail lights as it seems to be more of an exhaust/burn't gas smell than say raw gas. Jim

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
If the carb is not tuned you will have excess fuel going through combustion process so it still comes back to tuning .

70chall440

Reaction score
Not to sound like a dick but "new" doesn't mean working (or sealing in this case) which I am sure you know. With old cars its kind of tricky because you are used to new cars that don't have much smell at all. I remember tuning my 70 Challenger when I put an EFI 6 pack on it and thinking initially something was wrong because of the smell but then realized that was "old car" smell... LOL

AUSTA

Reaction score
Have checked under the sealing rear seat & transition hump the mufflers are pretty well right below also the rocker sills have holes the fumes can come up behind the rear interior panels

Jim Moroz

Reaction score
Have checked under the sealing rear seat & transition hump the mufflers are pretty well right below also the rocker sills have holes the fumes can come up behind the rear interior panels
Thanks will do.

Jim Moroz

Reaction score
Not to sound like a dick but "new" doesn't mean working (or sealing in this case) which I am sure you know. With old cars its kind of tricky because you are used to new cars that don't have much smell at all. I remember tuning my 70 Challenger when I put an EFI 6 pack on it and thinking initially something was wrong because of the smell but then realized that was "old car" smell... LOL
Thanks man !

i_taz

Reaction score
1) check fuel pressure, 3 psi is all u need on a carter type. 2) adv timing to about 36 at 2000rpm or until you get a little kick back from the starter, (also do a search for checking vaccum adv per Chryco written many years ago on a competing site but easy to find) 3) lower fuel level in bowls via float adjustment to keep fuel from getting pushed past the jets or 4) set idle mixture screws. Each helped a little bit until I got my 1411 under control... What do the plugs look like ?

Back