• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Gauge face restoration?

NoCar340

Reaction score
I'm looking to get my Rallye dash gauges restored, and am wondering what vendors board members have used with good results. I don't need any functional gauge work performed, other than possibly a speedometer calibration (I haven't checked that yet). I thought about the Premium Dash Decals kit, but I think the holes around the rivets would drive me nuts. So, I'd like to get my original faces cleaned, painted, and silk-screened (printed?) in the original style.

Good/bad vendors? Reasonable pricing? I realize it's the more expensive route, but there's a limit to my pockets too. Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.

70CUDA4SPEED

Reaction score
look at these they are made by my friend and has the holes for the rivets and the lines are much finer than the other brands, only the speedo are done in this photo, I can give you hes contact info if you are intrested and they are not very expensive.

'Cuda 1970 Försäkringsbilder 017.jpg

'Cuda 1970 Försäkringsbilder 017.jpg

NoCar340

Reaction score
I have seen those, and they look pretty decent. However, as I said originally I'm looking to get the faces redone as original which means no decals. If it's too expensive for my budget, I will revisit the thought of using decals.

I appreciate your input, though... thanks!

Bill

Reaction score
This is an email conversation I had with Bobsspedometer.com a few months ago inquiring about their restoration services.

Hi.
I am restoring a 1973 Dodge Challenger. The gauges are the Rallye style with
the tach and clock. I am considering either rebuilding the original or I may
go with a after market type. The gauges are not rusty at all and the numbers
look good enough for me. Is there a rough estimate that could be given to help
me make my derision? thank you for your help! Bill

Hello Bill,
Thank you for your inquiry. We can certainly do mechanical repairs/servicing on your 1973 Rallye gauges.
A very rough estimate would be in the range of $900-1400 to service and/or repair, which does include a quartz conversion for the clock.
Return shipping costs, plus any cosmetic work, would be additional. We would need to actually see the units before we can give you a firm estimate.

If you would like to send them on in to us, please be sure to include your name, address, and daytime phone number.
Give us a description of the problem or work you would like done, and include a copy of this email for reference if possible.

We offer free estimates - if for any reason you decide not to have the work done,
and you live in the continental U.S., we will ship it back to you at our expense.

We guarantee all of our repairs with a one year warranty.

If you have any questions please feel free to call us at (800) 592-9673 or (810) 632-0400
We are here Monday-Friday 9 a.m.- 5 p.m. Eastern

Our Shipping Address:

Bob's Speedometer
10123 Bergin Rd.
Howell, MI, 48843

Thank you,
Bruce

Bill

Reaction score
And this is a quick email conversation I had with Instrument specialties. :)

Hi.
I am restoring a 1973 Dodge Challenger. It has a Rallye dash with the tachometer and clock. I was wondering "about" what the cost would be for you to go over the gauges and fix if needed. I don't know what works and what does not. I am considering aftermarket electronic gauges but was hoping it would be less money to have the old ones rebuilt. They look to be in pretty good shape but I do not know what is or is not functioning. I have a feeling you are not going to want to quote me any prices online but I'm just tying to get an idea. Obviously I would not hold you to anything quoted over the internet. Am I talking $100's or $1,000's???. I just hate to ship the gauges to you to just have you ship them back to me because I decided to go a different route. I live in Vermont and thought it would be good to go with someone on the east coast.
Again, just looking for a ballpark. I see on your website that you have a Rallye gauge cluster that you did. What was the cost to do that one?
I can ship them to you for you to evaluate if needed.
Any help wold be great!
Bill (Vermont)

Hi Bill,
Those clusters can run $1800 ish if we have to do a FULL cosmetic and FULL mechanical restoration. By full I am meaning a re-print of all the art work, and all gauges need rebuild or calibration service. If the art work is good (dials are not rusted) we have a cleaning processes that is much cheaper and provides a very nice solution to dials that are eligible for it.

NoCar340

Reaction score
I did a little looking around, and Bob's definitely seemed like they thought they were the only ones doing it. Restored B-body clock/tach for $1,400?! Auto Instruments seemed pretty reasonable, since they give you a price for nothing but refacing the gauge. They do specifically mention that they don't use decals, which is the goal. The price seems reasonable too, so I may go that route but I'm still interested to hear from anyone who's actually had it done and how they liked the results.

moparleo

Reaction score
Example: How much to restore my car it looks in good shape to me ? Can I get a price without sending you any pictures ? Really !! NoCar340 , you have got to be real. A price means nothing if it is just a wild guess, And you won't hold him to it ? Spend the money to ship for an accurate estimate. Only real way to get a price.

NoCar340

Reaction score
You're not reading (or comprehending) the point of what I wrote, Leo. You want to go back and try again?

At no point did I say I wanted my cluster fully restored. I want the gauge faces restored. No electro-mechanical work except a possible speedo calibration after I check it for accuracy. I may have it calibrated locally prior to/after refinishing. No upgrades. The gauges are accurate including the tachometer. I've checked all that already, and I have the parts to convert the clock movement. Clean, blast, and refinish the gauge faces only. Period. That doesn't depend on anything except the gauge having a usable face, does it? If it did Auto Instruments probably wouldn't have a stated flat price for it, would they?

challenger6pak

Reaction score
To redo the faces, as you want them done, the gauges must be entirely disasembled. To repair the gauges during a restoration that same thing has to be done. It is labor intensive and that is the reason for the price to reface in comparison to the price to redo the cluster is close to the same amount. Budget $1,500 and if it is less, use the left over money elsewhere on the car.

moparleo

Reaction score
Sorry NoCar340, got your post mixed up with someone else posting here. Like challenger6pak points out though, they have to be disassembled for the silk screen work so you should also have the gauges rechecked and repaired at that time if needed.

Racer57

Reaction score
Something to keep in mind. I sent my clock to RedLine to have a quartz movement installed. $160.00
It cost an additional $60 for them to put a new face on it even though it was in "new" condition because the rivets that had to be removed were covered up.

rbbruno3

Reaction score
I went with instrument specialties . They did a real nice job, they painted all my faces in plum crazy.

Back