• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

going to have to put my dog down

74 challenger

Reaction score
Hey guys,my 15 year old rottie is not doing good.Shes breaking my heart.I dont want to say goodby but if i love her i must not let her suffer.Please pray for me. Thanks

Super-G

Reaction score
Dude I totally hear ya. I've been a dog guy ALL my life. I'd rather lose a finger than lose a dog.

My dog is 15 too and my kids 9 and 6 keep asking how long is Hannah gonna live. I have no frigging clue how someday I'm gonna put the dog down AND tell the kids. I frigging DREAD that day.

My heart goes out to you....

BIGSHCLUNK

Reaction score
Man I'm really sorry to hear this. I've been down that road more than once :( I never cried at a family funeral.... but when its been one of my "boys"... I guess I'm just letting you know I can relate.

MoparArmyVet

Reaction score
Agree with Super-G. Man, I am so sorry. I had to do the same with my Doberman two years ago after someone ran him over in our yard (kid was drunk). Duke was family. I miss him everyday. Be strong and know that it is the right thing to do.

Will be praying for you and your family.

Big Jim

Reaction score
Sorry to hear this- we lost 3 of our weimaraners in a 4 month span. Here's a poem that helped us a lot, hope it helps .
A Dog's Prayer

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world’s sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footsteps falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside, for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements. And I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth. Though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land, for you are my god and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest - and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

~Beth Norman Harris.​

Last edited:

sheetmetaldan

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss. I just had to put my dog down last saturday Baxter was a Basset hound and we had him for about 12 years. I know the pain you are going through, my youngest is 4 and she tries jumping up to heaven to go get him it breaks my heart. Plus we lost a cat a couple months back just disappeared so no idea what happened to her, that was hard enough to take on my kids never mind losing our dog.

btceng

Reaction score
From another father of 3 labs and a boy, God bless you. We have to be thankful for the good times and adopting a new puppy does not ever take away from the great memories of the one that past. Good luck.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss, I can't even imagine how badly I'm going to feel when that time comes for my Great Dane. I haven't had to go through this yet with a dog, my ex got both dogs in the divorce 8 years ago and that was tough enough in itself even though they lived on. I guess you've got to walk with your chin up and remember all the good times.

RuthJean

Reaction score
I am really sorry to hear this, but don’t fedup. I lost my 2 puppies due to an accident. I really loved them and thereafter I don’t take puppies again, because I always remember that died puppies.

Back