• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Got a quote for $25k for paint, Vinyl top and moldings installed

robert power

Reaction score
shop around . I also got some 25,000 estimates but found a place that did it for 8,000 no assembly just body work and paint.

Ronbo73

Reaction score
It is going to Woody's Auto Body in Spencer MA. Hopefully going there end of this week.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I only wanted to do mine once & 14 years ago I paid over $6K in premium materials alone , Epoxy primer , Base clear & lots of clear !

Reaction score
25k seems about right to me, as thats about what I paid, and seems like everything has doubled in the last year, i had a similar car done back in the late 90's for 8k. This is a reflection off the roof of the wall and ceiling in my shop;
IMG_20200119_200902467.jpg

Ronbo73

Reaction score
@Todd Jackson
I had sent them a bunch of photos. The shop that had done the work does good work but once again insurance work pays the bills. The car is going to the new shop on Friday. That's when I will know for sure if they're quote was high, low or on the money.

RCodeCuda

Reaction score
Hi gang. I have a 71 Challenger. Hard Top. The hood, trunk, and front quarters are all new AMD metal. And Valences. They are all primed and ready for final sanding. Rear quarters need to be blocked. Other than that the car is ready for paint. I have the car at a shop after my original guy can't finish the job. New guy wants to strip off all the existing work and start over. And says I will pay min of $25k. My original quote 2 years ago was $13k.....can anyone offer an opinion? Is this the going rate or is this a "I have more work than I need right now" price.....his shop is backed up 6 months......need some advice.....
This is always tricky. I took my ‘Cuda to a renown, but now defunct, MOPAR restoration shop in Port Washington, Wisconsin in the early 2000s. They had done many award winning cars so their work was top notch. The owner gave me an initial quote but kept stating that it was likely that it could increase by double when it was all said and done. He kept saying his shop’s reputation was on the line based off the potential paint work he was going to do. It made the hair on the back of my neck stand up because the translation to me was “I’m definitely going to screw you but you will have to wait and see how much when we are finished...”. I walked, and am forever grateful I did, because this shop closed down shortly thereafter for allegedly nefarious reasons.

Trust your gut when you talk to the shop IN PERSON... Good luck!

Todd Jackson

Reaction score
OK Keep me posted - if all goes well maybe we meet at the shop and you can show me your car and we can chat. I don't need a solution immediately I can store the car but prefer to get it done in the next 12 months or so....

@Todd Jackson
I had sent them a bunch of photos. The shop that had done the work does good work but once again insurance work pays the bills. The car is going to the new shop on Friday. That's when I will know for sure if they're quote was high, low or on the money

Cojohnso

Reaction score
And you had your choice of them using a brush or roller, LOL.
Actually it was just the paint. It didn't include prep, primer, 2nd(s) coat, sealing, clear coat ect..

You know. What makes the job successful. Lol.

douglas17

Reaction score
Hi gang. I have a 71 Challenger. Hard Top. The hood, trunk, and front quarters are all new AMD metal. And Valences. They are all primed and ready for final sanding. Rear quarters need to be blocked. Other than that the car is ready for paint. I have the car at a shop after my original guy can't finish the job. New guy wants to strip off all the existing work and start over. And says I will pay min of $25k. My original quote 2 years ago was $13k.....can anyone offer an opinion? Is this the going rate or is this a "I have more work than I need right now" price.....his shop is backed up 6 months......need some advice.....
This sounds about right. If you are taking the car to a new shop, they have no idea what the previous shop has done. Stripping the car to bare metal and starting over is the way to go. No one will warranty work that another shop has previously done. If they will take your car and move on.

Ronbo73

Reaction score
@Todd Jackson
The car was delivered a week ago but the guy they were going to have work on it came down with covid... I should know more this week. They had told me about a month to complete the bodywork and paint. Fingers crossed, I have been waiting for over 20 years to see it in paint.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
25k seems about right to me, as thats about what I paid, and seems like everything has doubled in the last year, i had a similar car done back in the late 90's for 8k. This is a reflection off the roof of the wall and ceiling in my shop;
View attachment 104304
Best body work on the ceiling beside the plate. Just out of curiosity why is it there?So the wife wont see it?

mgoblue979

Reaction score

If you want a new shop to warranty the paint then they will all want to go back down to bare metal.

Still 25k seems a little steep if only paint is involved. Does that include final assembly as well? Does the price go up if body work isn't up to standard and needs reworking?

Back