• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Handling question

BergmanAutoCraft

FEBO Vendor
FEBO Vendor
Reaction score
ALL of our Mopars suffer from poor factory alignment design... best immediate remedy is aftermarket UCAs (~1-2 negative camber, 4-5-6 positive caster, 1/16 or zero toe), stiffer TBs (at least 1.1 or higher... you will NOT regret it... and don't be afraid of larger TBs... I run the largest at 1.24), larger F/R sway bars, tighter steering box (FF stage 3, or SteerNGear stage 3)... and better shocks. Rear suspension also needs stiffening. Also, subframe connectors will help round out the package. Then... get a better driver's seat, smaller steering wheel.

For wheels/rims, the shorter sidewalls will give a harsher ride, so, take that into consideration... learn to adjust air pressures for comfort.. within reasonable safety.
Good advice Mitch but let's not forget their is much better steering available than the 1950s steering boxes!

Mopar Mitch

Reaction score
Good advice Mitch but let's not forget their is much better steering available than the 1950s steering boxes!
Hi Peter -- YES! the Borgenson PS box is a definite option for improved steering. And, your coupler is the best to use in the swap. Personally, I haven't yet driven a Mopar with the Borgenson ps box, but I hear only good things about it. One concern I have is the actual turns lock-to-lock, as well as IF the longer Fast Ratio Pitman arm can attach -- what is the result then? (Naturally, the longer idler arm would also be installed.) For weight savings, the Borgenson ps box is also helpful. I recently had my T/A ps box rebuilt by FF to their Stage 3 level ... a noticable improvement over previous.

BergmanAutoCraft

FEBO Vendor
FEBO Vendor
Reaction score
There are no downsides to this box. The on center feel and response is modern, unlike the original style 1950s box. Its 14:1 and 3.5 turns, so it turns a bit more than factory. However, even on my narrow A body with 255 40 18s on the front, I don't have issues. I haven't gotten feedback from any who tried to use the long pitman with this box. The ratio would be super fast.

Max Wedge

Reaction score
Did you check the car for bump steer?
K-frame mounts for the steering box and idler arm my not be right from the factory.
The old DC chassis manual has details on potential issues, diagnosis and correction.

Everything else can be right, but if the bump steer isn't right, you will feel it on bumps, road camber etc.

Back