• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Harmonic balancer removal

moparguy

Reaction score
hey guys.
I almost got off everything taken off the 440 but I cant get the harmonic balance off which means I cant get off the timing cover, which means I can't get out the cam or crank. Do I need a gear puller to get it off, or can I just pry/hit it off. Any help is well... helpful.
Thanks

1973cuda

Reaction score
puller

Hi yes they make a puller to remove it make sure you clean the 3 bolt treads it attaches to and make sure there the right size

moparleo

Reaction score
Gear puller

Never, ever hit or pry on any engine parts. Always treat your cars and tools with respect. If it doesn't come out or off with your hands, get the right tool. Using a hammer or anything else to pry or hit a part to take off will only damage or break parts. Engines are made of cast iron or aluminum. Those materials are very brittle and wiLL crack or break if you use force on them. Treat your engine parts like they were made of glass. Gentle does it. You might as well start accumulating tools if you are going to be working on cars as you get older. You can never have too many. You can start with budget tools if money is tight and upgrade as your funds allow. Good tools will last a lifetime, and they make working on things a lot less stressful.
It would also make life a lot easier for you to have reference material covering the things that you are working on. That will answer most of your questions about what tools you may need to do repairs on engines, suspensions, brakes or what have you. We all have questions on things we haven't worked on before. Just like the directions you get when you buy something that needs assembly, it helps to know what tools you will need and what order to do the work in.

Good luck. And enjoy the hobby.

Last edited:

Dartguy340

Reaction score
Were you able to get a puller and get it off? O'Reillys has a puller and usually they just let you put a deposit on it and use it for free!

Back