• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Head Lights

EX P I

Reaction score
My 70 Challenger has a low beam out. I looked at replacements and think I'd go with a Sylvania Ultra bright. NOT LED.
Question: Given the car has original wiring, could I expect an improvement in brightness with new lights?

Xcudame

Reaction score
Certainly the newer lights are a little brighter than the old original bulbs. Just don't expect modern headlight brightness. Of course, once the modern headlight plastic clouds up (like they do here in the desert), they're not so bright either.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Adding relays really helps as well , this shunt the power directly from the battery instead of power going through the fire \wall , though the headlight switch , back through the firewall to the headlights , all modern cars are wired this way with relays so the headlights are significantly brighter .

EX P I

Reaction score
My 70 Challenger has a low beam out. I looked at replacements and think I'd go with a Sylvania Ultra bright. NOT LED.
Question: Given the car has original wiring, could I expect an improvement in brightness with new lights?
Thank you!

EX P I

Reaction score
Adding relays really helps as well , this shunt the power directly from the battery instead of power going through the fire \wall , though the headlight switch , back through the firewall to the headlights , all modern cars are wired this way with relays so the headlights are significantly brighter .
Thank you!

EX P I

Reaction score
Thank you!

72RoadRunnerGTX

Reaction score
Agreed, relays will improve any lighting type but with the factory charging system intact, the relay secondary power source should be from the alternator not the battery. All loads need to be on the alternator side of the ammeter as are all factory loads.

72RoadRunnerGTX

Reaction score
Otherwise, the next best bet is Halogen and modifying the plugs, correct?
H4/H1 based Hella E-codes Halogens. Several options for bulb wattage. Not to be confused with sealed beam Halogens.
20190804_140448.jpg

Mopar Nut

Reaction score
Agreed, relays will improve any lighting type but with the factory charging system intact, the relay secondary power source should be from the alternator not the battery. All loads need to be on the alternator side of the ammeter as are all factory loads.
Is there a wiring diagram using the relay secondary power source running from the alternator?

Ricks72Chlgr440

Reaction score
Do you know if anyone makes the headlight relay kits like CrackedBack does? I emailed him a month ago and no response. I know he is having physical issues so may no longer be doing the relay kits.

EX P I

Reaction score
Thank you.

72RoadRunnerGTX

Reaction score
80/100-watt H4s, 100-watt H1 bulbs. Modifications? Relays for sure, the factory lighting circuit cannot handle the current draw, approaches 30amps with all four high beams on. Also, recommend the relay to lamps wiring be upsized as noted in the diagram above. Also, ceramic plugs on the H4s, they do generate a bit of heat. No physical modifications to fit the housings in the buckets, direct replacement. Compared to sealed beam halogens? Much more light output and a more precise and defined/wide light pattern. If you are still running a non-modified factory stock original charging system with an ammeter, be sure to draw your relay/lamp power from the alternator, not from the battery directly.

Last set I bought from Summit, housings and high wattage bulb set was about $275 IIRC. Housings include the 55/60-watt H4, 55-watt H1 bulbs.

Last edited:
Back