• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Headpipe fitment with 4 speed?

Super-G

Reaction score
I have a 69 440 in my 73 Challenger. I'm running 69 B body HP exhaust manifolds. I know that the exhaust flange is clocked differently on the passenger side and I've already dealt with that. The passenger side head pipe is installed with no problems.

The driver side head pipe hits the arm of the Z bar where it connects to the rod that goes back to the clutch fork. ??? With my exhaust bolted up, I have no use of the clutch as it hangs up on the headpipe. Is there something I don't know?

I have 2 thoughts, I can either drop the head pipe and use a hammer/mallet to "massage" the arm outwards a little to gain the proper clearance or I can take the car to a muffler shop and have a new pipe fabricated.

I was trying to avoid the muffler shop, the car isn't in running condition just yet and taking it to a muffler shop will require renting a U-haul trailer and towing it to a muffler shop...which of course will add $$$ to the cost of the exhuast.

Any feedback/suggestions???

Back