• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Heat Crossover Question

JBBQ

Reaction score
Does anyone have a preferred method or pictures for blocking the heat crossovers on 383/440? I understand the downside of closing these ports when it is cold but here in Phoenix I am having issues with hot starts given this generation of fuel. I see the the Fel-Pro gasket 1215 has them already blocked. Is that enough or could thr exhaust heat burn thru this gasket? Any info here would be appreciated.

cuda joe

Reaction score
I had a hot start issue on my 383 put in 440 fuel lines they have a return with out that the pump has pressure after shut off and will drip into carb overflowing it also make sure the gas tank is vented sometimes the vent gets clogged i can;t remember what intake gaskets i used. also with your heat out there the fuel could be boiling out consider a carb spacer

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The 1215 gasket is designed for this , I use it all the time .
1215 is RB / 440
1214 is B / 383

toolmanmike

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a preferred method or pictures for blocking the heat crossovers on 383/440? I understand the downside of closing these ports when it is cold but here in Phoenix I am having issues with hot starts given this generation of fuel. I see the the Fel-Pro gasket 1215 has them already blocked. Is that enough or could thr exhaust heat burn thru this gasket? Any info here would be appreciated.
Use the gasket and make sure the heat riser is wide open. It can be wired open, the butterfly removed, or the butterfly and shaft removed and the holes tapped and plugged.

JBBQ

Reaction score
Thank you!
Would you happen to have a picture of one wired up? Or suggest the best place to wire it to?

IMG_8413.jpeg

Adam

Reaction score
I just cut out the butterfly on an 89 Ramcharger manifold; I was going to drill & tap the manifold but found hardened inserts for the butterfly shaft. It might be possible to drive out the inserts but I just put a 5/16 bolt all the way across (still much less restriction than the butterfly). The butterfly was welded to the shaft so I had to use a dremel to cut the welds down, allowing the shaft to slide out. PITA. I probably should have used my cutting torch.

Back