• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Heat stove problem

Cudatx9

Reaction score
Hoping someone can help. I am putting together a 73 Cuda 340 with factory A/C auto. Engine has been rebuilt and runs great. Here's the problem, the steering column is getting very hot both inside and out. I am missing the hear stove and believe this may be the cause. Can anyone confirm this and does anyone know where I can find the heat stove

Cudatx9

Reaction score
sorry for delay. My computer had died. Heat is on both the inside and outside.

burdar

Reaction score
The cause of that heat is a missing foam seal on the end of the column. There should be a foam seal at the bottom of the column tube. Without that seal, heat travels up the column between the tube and the inner shaft. I ended up making my own seal out of leftover foam from my heaterbox rebuild kit. The 1/2" black foam that the D shaped heaterbox gasket is made out of works great.

There is a plastic retainer at the bottom of the column. The foam goes inside that plastic piece. When you tighten the three lower column bolts, just make sure the inner shaft is centered in the tube or you'll be putting stress on the foam.

Last edited:

Cudatx9

Reaction score
I want to thank Burdar. Your recommedation was right on target. The seal was completely gone. I decided to install a new one. Heat problem is gone.

Back