• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Heater core leaking

ctaarman

Reaction score
I rebuilt the entire box with a new core, two years ago. After looking at heater cores from a number of sources, my recommendation is go with someone like Rockauto or Advance because they all appear to come from the same place (China). I paid under $50 for mine. Only thing I had to do was resolder the plate that holds the two pipes together to get a better fit into the housing. I have never had a problem and you can pressure test before you install to be sure.

Where I didn't scrimp was on the rebuild kit -bought the DMT kit, and it has everything including new housing clips, flap material, seals, etc. It will save you time and grief. The pleasure of hearing the internal flaps work cleanly is worth the price in itself.

Being a non-AC car, to take the heater box out is not a bad job. Just take pics every step along the way as you disassemble. It's easy to cross a wire or forget where and how a plenum cable is oriented and attached. If your car was like mine, at the same time you do the core, also replace the cardboard in the glove box. You can watch and get the box plus new screws for $20. Much easier to do with the heater box out of the way.

Robert Franke

Reaction score
After my nightmare of trying to restore a factory a/c on a 69 GTX with owner suppyed parts..none fit property...I called Original Air in Florida..also known as classic auto air. I talked to david that does All the case restoration for graveyard cars.They have all the correct parts! They also restored the extinct heater valve for me...as far as case seals..really good kits on Ebay. Mine was 100 bucks..worth every penny. Pressure test! Or bypass. Hope this helps ya.

Robert Franke

Reaction score
After trying to restore a factory a/c 69 GTX with owner suppyed parts turned into a nightmare! Nothing fit property..both cores ! There is a ton of aftermarket JUNK out there! I finally called and talked to David at Original Air Group in Tampa Florida..He does all the restoration work for Graveyard Cars...get your parts from them! Cheaper than th crap I was brought! Also there are alot of excellent seal kits on ebay..worth every penny! Mine was about 100 bucks. Do a pressure test! Or connect both hoses to each other..bypass.

Robert Franke

Reaction score
Internet went down and I couldnt find the post I made..page 2! Lol..wanted to make sure you got the info. A week job turned into 3 mos! Too much work to risk relying on China knockoffs

Ls1slow

Reaction score
Will I bought a OER heater core for the replacement. And right now I don’t know if I’ll receive it with everything going on to see how the fit up is. So I was thinking about getting just the BASIC rebuild kit from DMT because I didn’t want to spend the extra 34 bucks for a few screws and clips but sounds like I should buy the whole kit to get the screws and clips included.

Then I was planning on removing the cardboard in the glove box. But will I need to buy new then. Are you not able to remove it and reuse it again.

I’m going to look into Original Air tomorrow to see what they offer.

moparlee

Reaction score
Will I bought a OER heater core for the replacement. And right now I don’t know if I’ll receive it with everything going on to see how the fit up is. So I was thinking about getting just the BASIC rebuild kit from DMT because I didn’t want to spend the extra 34 bucks for a few screws and clips but sounds like I should buy the whole kit to get the screws and clips included.

Then I was planning on removing the cardboard in the glove box. But will I need to buy new then. Are you not able to remove it and reuse it again.

I’m going to look into Original Air tomorrow to see what they offer.
I rebuilt mine with the basic kit from DMT. But I wasn't missing the misc screws and clips. You can remove the glove box liner and re-use it if it is still in good condition.

Back