• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Heater core leaking

Ls1slow

Reaction score
Looking for some help to verify that is my heater core leaking before I take everything apart. But on passenger side it leaks a little bit of radiator fluid it use to be a intermittent problem but towards end of fall last year it was about every time I drove it. It’s doesn’t leak into the interior that I can feel it smell. It only drips along passenger side frame rall.
I’ve checked the hoses going into the heater core and it’s not leaking there or in the Engine bay. But what else could be leaking fluid in this area besides the heater core. I’ll post a few pictures of where the fluid comes from and how much drips. Worried it’s going to get worse leak into interior or lose all radiator fluid driving.

B5F03E11-6CB4-4E90-9E10-0DC03596E213.jpeg

5846546E-79AB-43FD-B647-2F923B56DBA7.jpeg

54D169CD-CD4D-4DCF-8DC6-5B5A110A6BB2.png

moparlee

Reaction score
More than likely it is the heater core. In the mean time if you want to drive the car just disconnect the heater hoses at the water pump and plug them off.

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
Could be an outer header or manifold bolt too or just some overflow coming out the tube but if its just leaking straight down, most likely heater core. Atleast if you block it off and the leak stops, then you'll know.

Ls1slow

Reaction score
Ok will since it’s on passenger side and opposite of overflow tube I know it’s not that. And you think out of a manifold bolt like a crack in the head. I haven’t seen any where in engine bay where it leaking even where the heater core tubes stick through the firewall.

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
The outside manifold bolts go into the water jacket and can leak if you dont use sealer on them. Looks like it is leaking thru the firewall where its sectioned together and more than likely the core. You could also have a pin hole in a freeze plug and squirting there.

Ls1slow

Reaction score
Ok thanks I’ve ran it and looked and haven’t seen anything. I’m pretty sure it’s the core but since can’t physically see it leak from core just like second options before rip the old one out. Thanks for help

Reaction score
More info needed. Do you have factory A/C?
If so it could be the water valve in the fender well leaking
If it is leaking inside the car you would know it quickly with a warm engine. That antifreeze steam smells bad and fogs/slimes the glass.

Ls1slow

Reaction score
It’s not a factory AC car and doesn’t have AC.

Rich G.

Reaction score
Get a pressure tester and pump it up. If theres a leak it will show up

Ls1slow

Reaction score
That’s a good idea I didn’t think of that but what’s a good way to pressure test it. I couldn’t use a a regular radiator pressure tester. Because of the thermostat will be closed.

Rich G.

Reaction score
Pressure test will go through the heater core also . Thermostat doesn’t matter.

rklein71

Reaction score
I would disconnect the heater hoses and set up a pressure test for only the heater core as a starting point. You could also do a vacuum test on the core as well.

Ls1slow

Reaction score
So did a static pressure test like recommended it started to leak on the inside where tubes come through firewall so enough evidence for me to deal with replacing the heater core thanks for help. Probably asking for help if b pulling heater core coming up

rklein71

Reaction score
So did a static pressure test like recommended it started to leak on the inside where tubes come through firewall so enough evidence for me to deal with replacing the heater core thanks for help. Probably asking for help if b pulling heater core coming up

Good news, summer is coming, not much need for the heater core for a while...

Rich G.

Reaction score
If you’re replacing the heater core you might want to get a heater box restoration kit from Detroit Muscle Tecnologies while you have it out and apart. After 50 years I’m sure all the foam seals turned to dust.

Ls1slow

Reaction score
I know I looked into it sure seals are bad as well car it is a super original car. And only had a basic restoration before I bought it and from what I see still has original date stamps on heater box. And a dump question but would bad seals case it to blow hot air when vents are open.

Last edited:

Rich G.

Reaction score
Very possible. While it’s apart you can check to see if the doors close properly

rklein71

Reaction score
When I did my heater box, I bought some cheapo 1/4 inch black foam from Walmart. It was in a package for sealing a home air conditioner and cost me a 50 cents because it was on clearance. I used spray glue to recreate the flapper seals and such. Worked great. Rod

IMG_3717.JPG

timdp

Reaction score
Whatever you do, don't buy a heater core from Summit. Zero quality control on those regarding fit. Have bought two of them and neither would fit into the heater box, even with mods. One was badly out of square and the other was 1/8" too big to fit. Still looking for a quality piece.

Back