• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

help me run 12's with a stock lookin 340

BLACK71

Reaction score
Looking to run 12's with the 340 in my 70...motor is completely stock right now cept a 670 holley, would like to keep the stock looking appearance...will be somewhat of a daily driver. Not sure what gears yet, was thinking 3.91s instead of my current 323s...tire out back 255 60 15....definately gonna do this through the manifolds..car is an auto.would like to stay away from a stroker for now, not lookin for a total rebuild

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
Couple things to consider.
1 - ET is made in the first 1/8th mile.
2 - Speed is made in the last 1/8th mile.
So, to lower your ET, the best way is to have a better 60' time.

As Moparleo questioned, how old/tired is the motor? Before you make horsepower increases or gearing changes, can the motor stand up to the higher rev's or pressures from higher HP? Same question for the rest of the drive train.

If a compression check shows the motor is worthy, my opinion is to install a progressive controlled nitrous unit. You do not need a BIG unit to do this, a 150 HP unit should suffice, but talk to a NoS supplier and they will tell you what size. Remember, just because it's there doesn't mean you NEED or WANT to use ALL of it! The progressive controller can allow you to bring in the horsepower gradually and not shock/smoke the stock tires. Slicks would help, but not necessary. You just experiment with the controller on how much and how fast you bring the juice on. If your looking for a stock engine look, hide the lines above the tranny and enter the from the back of the block and run the lines to the intake ports under the intake manifold. This costs a lot more than the carb plate style, but it you want the bone stock look, that's the MOST COST EFFECTIVE way to drop your ET substantially and STILL keep it a daily driver and not do any other major modifications. This way you only use the horsepower when you need/want it and the drive train lasts a lot longer. The other trick I will share is to use the floor mounted windshield washer switch to activate the NoS as you probably don't spray the windshield anyway. NO ONE will ever figure out how you activate the unit!

A little nitrous is good, a lot of nitrous is great, too much is really, really bad....... don't get greedy!

johnny544

Reaction score
Nos in a daily driver ?
What times do you run with it now?

Last edited:

BLACK71

Reaction score
Ha...it runs 16's..just putting it in drive though, jus a little shakedown run...car is completely stock, open diff w/ 3.23's..i would be happy with 14's even..but gotta keep it lookin as stock as possible...

IQ52

Reaction score
How stock does nitrous look?

If you want this 340 to start rollin' in the 12's and keep it looking stock, you will have to port the cylinder heads. What is the budget? How short of a complete rebuild? How stock looking do you plan on keeping this? Stock intake manifold also?

Jim LaRoy
Laroy Engines
Challis, ID

moparleo

Reaction score
Juan mentioned hiding the lines by running them over the top of the trans and under the intake manifold so it is not obvious. Aside from porting the heads anything else you do is going to be exposed. It really depends on how invisible you are trying to make the power adder. What is the point of trying to be so quick and also be a daily driver? Anything you do is going to be a compromise. Reliable and long life or very quick and short life. Remember and internal combustion engine is basically an air pump. The more you put in, the more that has to come out. Porting your heads and using the stock carb,intake,camshaft, springs,exhaust manifolds won't give you much more power. You need to decide what you are really expecting performance wise, how much you are willing to spend to get there, before you do anything.

johnny544

Reaction score
I would start with gears then torque converter both are hidden...not gonna get 12's I wouldn't think but as long as you have plenty of rev left at the end now that should scoot you down the strip quite a bit quicker....I'm not sure what a nitrous set up would cost but I bet a 3.91 posi would be cheaper to start

johnny544

Reaction score
Why would you have to turn the gears off ? I had 391's in mine as a daily driver for several years .... Would be better than cooking the motor using nitrous on an already warn engine then u are gonna have to rebuild it anyway ?

Back