• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

New member from Fort Worth Texas, finally starting on my 70 'Cuda after many years!

superbee_68

Reaction score
So I picked this car up back in 2005. Looking at the pics, the car trailer and my truck were brand new, man it has been a long time... It is a 70 barracuda, original plum crazy purple with white interior, 318 auto, buckets with console shift, manual steering, manual brakes, standard gauges, no a/c. It is pretty stripped down but at least that means it will be easier and cost just a tiny bit less to restore. Trailer pic was the day I bought it. I went to buy the 70 roadrunner in the background and saw a purple e-body poking out from under a tarp. After going back to the bank to get more money, I took home the barracuda instead. I know a little bit of history on the car. It was daily driven by a young girl in the 80's. She managed to ding and dent every panel on the car except the driver fender and door. When she backed into a short pole that punched the gas tank, the car was parked. I got it running and driving with a battery, some wheel cylinders, a master cylinder, and lots of transmission fluid. Drove it around the block once, did a small burnout, and parked the car in the garage where it hasn't moved since. That was 9 years ago. It is now time to get this thing back on the road where it deserves to be.

The car came with new quarters and some extra consoles. I have since purchased full floor pans, trunk floor, trunk extensions, the metal and fiberglass composite AAR hood (so I can use light weight hood springs), front valence, rear valence, hood pins, the AAR spoiler, sub-frame connectors, and all the body stiffening pieces from xv-motorsports.

Plans for the car are costly so I will be taking my time and build in stages. From all outward appearances, I would like the car to look like an original AAR Cuda like the one pictured below, correct hood, decals, spoiler, exhaust, antenna location, etc. For the interior, 100% factory original in pattern and color is what I am after. The only thing I would like to upgrade is to have an original FM radio hooked to four modern speakers, two in the dash, two in the package tray hidden. I even want to keep the standard gauges. I will have to hide a tach somewhere but will figure that out later. I do want a/c so a kit from classic auto air is in order. Outward appearance and interior is where the original stops. For motor, I will be running the 5.7 hemi that came out of my uncles 08 challenger. He built a stroker motor for the car and gave me his 5.7. I still need an oil pan and accessory drive for it. Transmission will be a 5 or 6 speed, rear end will be an 8.75 with some stiffening and 3.55 gears. K-member will be tubular, power rack & pinion steering, and the car will loose the leaf springs in the rear. There will be discs brakes on all four corners but I want to run 15" Rally Wheels so I will have to buy brakes that will fit.

I hope to drive this car to work every day when it is done so I will have to balance concourse restoration/build quality with the reality that I will put a lot of miles on the car. Does anyone have any driver seat tracks, just need the standard ones? I will be looking through threads here for inspiration and know how. I hope to become part of the for e-bodies only community.

Just in case you are like me and look at the cars in the background, the 68 Charger was sold to a father and son 7 years ago and the 68 Coronet is still around but has received a face lift since the pictures were taken, six pack hood, 15" black steel wheels. The last pic is the Coronet and my 1970 Roadrunner race car I picked up last year. So now you can be sure I'm a mopar nut.

1.jpg2.jpgphoto 3 (2).jpgphoto 2 (3).jpgphoto 2 (2).jpgphoto 1.jpgphoto 1 (2).jpg8.jpg7.jpg6.jpg5.jpg3.jpgphoto 5 (2).jpgIMG_2745.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

photo 1 (2).jpg

photo 1.jpg

photo 2 (2).jpg

photo 2 (3).jpg

photo 3 (2).jpg

photo 5 (2).jpg

IMG_2745.jpg

moparleo

Reaction score
That sounds like a lot of time and money. You can go back to a few of the member restoration threads for inspiration. A lot of nice cars here.

Good luck on the resto and remember that we need lots of pictures when you do this.

superbee_68

Reaction score
That sounds like a lot of time and money.

The time and money is the reason why the car has been sitting in my garage so long. When I bought it I was young so I had plenty of time but no money. Now I am older and have a good job with enough expendable income to restore this car but because I have a full time job I have no time. Funny how that works. This is my dream/keep forever car so it has to be right. Another reason I haven't started is because I keep changing my mind on which direction I want to go. I have a correct 340 and an original 6 pack intake so I could go back with an original style tribute car. The older I get, the more I like factory and original parts, but the young part of me loves fuel injection, extra gears, and awesome handling so its a tough decision. Here we go again, now I don't know for sure any more which direction I really want to take the car... Help!

moparleo

Reaction score
Sounds like a restomod. Looks original on the outside but performs like a modern muscle car. The hardest part is going to be building the mechanical upgrades first . So I would probably want to do the suspension and driveline updates first. The body and interior would be relatively straight forward as you know what interior and exterior look that you want to achieve.
I have a Dodge Magnum R/T with the 5.7 Hemi. Runs smooth, very good acceleration and decent fuel mileage. With the NAG1 transmission and a paddle shift conversion you would have lots of fun.

Last edited:

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Welcome to the site. I am finishing a 70 Challenger right now that is a lot like what you want for your Cuda with the Gen 3 hemi etc. I have gone through a lot of trouble to build the Challenger. It is easier to get parts now. We had to make a lot of what is on the Challenger. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I may not know all the answers but I can most likely send you to someone who does.

dfrazz

Reaction score
Great looking cars! Welcome from CO.

Ariovistus

Reaction score
Welcome Super B 68! On some of the Standard Instrument gauge clusters, there is either a clock or a blank gauge. Maybe You can Hide a tach in there. A friend did this with his 71 Barracuda and it looks good.

Xcudame

Reaction score
Welcome to FEBO from the desert! Strange this popped up after nine years! How's the Barracuda looking now?

fasjac

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from Arkansas!
That will be a fun project! 👍🏻
Keep us updated.

hdwrench

Reaction score
welcome to febo , if ur looking to hide a tach classic has one that mounts in the factory non tic-tick dash . i thought it might be a good idea if you don’t want one hanging elsewhere….

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Howdy from Colorado.
Cool looking car!
Is that the original paint on the car?
Looks like a perfect candidate for a restomod.
What is the fender tag readout?
Did it happen to retain it's build sheet or window sticker?

Back