• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Help with engine wire harness install

340SHAKER

Reaction score
Coil wires.jpg
I'm looking for some guidance. The car was apart when I bought it so I'm not sure where some wires connect. I do have a wiring diagram but I am converting it to electronic ignition and some wires do not match. I have "most" of the engine wiring harness connected. However I'm a little concerned with the coil wires and the resistor wires. I have attached a picture that shows the wires on the resistor and three other wires. Two with eyelits and one with a spade connector. First do the resistor wires look to be installed correctly? The other 3 wires I assume connect to the coil and the oil pressure sensor. Can you tell me which one goes where? I assume the spade is for the oil pressure sensor. That leaves the two eyelits, positive or negative? Also do I need a condenser? If so, does it attach to the + or - on the coil? Thanks guys.

Slotts

Reaction score
To answer the three unconnected wires:
Solid Gray w/ Female Packard Terminal - To Oil Pressure Sender
Brown w/ Eyelet - To Positive Terminal On Coil
Black w/ Yellow Tracer w/ Eyelet - To Negative Terminal On Coil

I do see issues with the wiring on the ballast resistor. Where did this harness come from? Typically, a four terminal ballast resistor has only two double terminal connectors. One with a extension on the connector that is keyed to fit into a C cutout on the side of the ballast resistor on the right side of your picture.

No, you do not need a condenser when converting to an electronic ignition setup.

Also, noticed there is no insulation on the wiper gear box cover plate two terminals.

Jim

340SHAKER

Reaction score
Jim, Thank you for your help. I got the harness from YEAR 1. It's an electronic ignition update harness. There is key on the double terminal that fit down into the C channel on the lower right side. Now I don't know if it matters where the other two attach, top or bottom??? The original harness had two double terminals, I assumed that this was different because it is for electronic ignition.

340SHAKER

Reaction score
As for the wiper motor, I sent it of to Bruce Somer to have it restored and this is how it came back. I noticed everyone else's pictures have the red insulation on the wiper terminals. What is it? And do you know where I can get it?

ns1aar

Reaction score
Sometime in 70 Chrysler stopped using the red varnish on the terminals. If your motor fit within that time frame and didn't have it I would have not applied it, however if you would like to have it I can send you some.
Bruce

340SHAKER

Reaction score
Hi Bruce, I didn't mean to throw you under the bus I just don't know anything about that stuff. For the record the wiper motor turned out Very Nice! I will email you. If you could send some that would be great. Thank you.

Back