• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hi guys. Thanks for accepting me here. needing help on AAR 340 HP increase

Ashern Guy

Reaction score
In the process of getting a nice 70 AAR Cuda 340-6bl, w/AT. The carbs have been done, she has 40k miles. What would you guys suggest for boosting the 290hp considerably? I dont want it to be too lumpy, but streetable and innocent sounding. Im not opposed to a higher stall converter. I must admit that I have no knowledge of this engine so am very appreciative of seeing your experienced input. I do want to retain the factory look under the hood. Id love to turn her into a 12 sec car. Thanks guys

Mopar Nut

Reaction score
BA499B2F-C723-4524-BDE9-37A7E16E101F.jpeg

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Welcome .
More power is = to more airflow , using the 87-92 308 casting heads & porting them is one of the best moves , the heads look stock but will flow a lot more air , & a mild cam increase using a Lunati VooDoo grind will help a lot also , if using stock exhaust manifolds the cam needs to retain a 112* CL or higher & the manifolds an be ported to match the heads

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
If using the 308 heads ,you are losing some value of the car as the original offset heads will be removed.
Don't blow up the original matching numbers motor or trans. If anything, take them out and tuck them away and put a higher horsepower motor in it's place. Not many AAR's and even less with matching numbers blocks.
Is your numbers matching? Or an original AAR motor? How about some pictures? Would love to see some pictures of the car? Color?
@Ashern Guy

Ashern Guy

Reaction score
If using the 308 heads ,you are losing some value of the car as the original offset heads will be removed.
Don't blow up the original matching numbers motor or trans. If anything, take them out and tuck them away and put a higher horsepower motor in it's place. Not many AAR's and even less with matching numbers blocks.
Is your numbers matching? Or an original AAR motor? How about some pictures? Would love to see some pictures of the car? Color?
@Ashern Guy
Yes its original engine to the car. I will post pics once I have it - shd be within 2 weeks. I know I shd just take a pill and leave it alone. I wanted a BB car but im in love with this AAR. Its yellow

Racer Dave

Reaction score
Don't blow up the original matching numbers motor or trans. If anything, take them out and tuck them away and put a higher horsepower motor in it's place. Not many AAR's and even less with matching numbers blocks. [/USER]
First off: WELCOME!
Best advice ever. I have an AAR that was converted into a drag car in the mid 1970s. It *could* be restored, but would be a lot of work. But before actively racing it I put the original numbers matching block and trans into storage and used another 340 engine.

As far as power goes, these engines respond really well to modifications. I did fully port the T/A heads and they worked really well and don't think it would detract from the value of car if restored....after all who doesn't want more horsepower, and especially if how you're making it is hidden away? I ran a big flat tappet cam and forged pistons for a compression ratio increase (in the world of power, compression is king!). All steel - except hood - all glass windows and the car ran 11.00s/120 mph in the quarter..... not super fast by today's standards, but one quick car in the early 1980s.

But if you want to keep it streetable, these AAR 340s already have decent compression, and a good size lopey hydraulic cam will make a huge difference.

fasjac

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from Arkansas!
Sounds cool, can’t wait to see it.

340challconvert

Reaction score
:welcome: to FEBO from New Jersey
Congrats on picking up the TA Challenger
340 engines, especially the 6pak versions were always unrated as to actual horsepower
Personally, I would hesitate doing modifications that would hurt the value of your low mileage TA Challenger
The engine would be impossible to replace if it were extensively modified or damaged beyond a certain point.
I would look for another less rare car to modify.
Just my 2 cents

Xcudame

Reaction score
Welcome the site! And I concur, leave the T/A alone. It was way underated by Chrysler so as not to take away from the big blocks. At the very least, pull the original engine and swap in a built 360 with the appropriate weighted flywheel. 360s are plentiful and you could even use a 360 magnum roller motor.

Back