• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hired!

ramenth

Reaction score
Just got back from a job interview at a local manufacturing firm building rail cars. Their biggest and most detailed client is Amtrak, the other is Houston.

The Houston line is less detail oriented, needing the less experience on the line. The platform for the cars is built in Spain and finished here. The Amtrak line is built here from the ground up, using only US sourced parts when applicable.

I've yet to find out where they want me on either line, or what I might be doing, but with my automotive experience they're figuring I can fit in anywhere, it'll be up to the foreman as to where to put me after a week's orientation and training.

As with a lot of manufacturers in the area I start as a temp and have four month's probationary period. That period may lengthen or shorten depending on a lot of factors, like the ability to learn, attendance, being able to do the work assigned, etc.

I'm gonna hit it and hit it hard as getting off probation means a better hourly wage, better bennies, more responsibility, and more opportunity to move up.

Starting wage and bennies now aren't that bad, but why rest on my laurels just to draw a paycheck? Hopefully, this can turn into something even more.

For now, they're running two shifts, first and second, and cranking up a third shift. I'm open and flexible as to what shift they give me, but if I have my druthers I'd prefer second. Still enough time in the day to get things done around the house.

stu in wichita

Reaction score
Way to go!

I'd hate to be looking for a job in this economy at my age. Most companies don't value experience very much. I'm glad you found one that does. It sounds like you'll do well for them and for yourself.

Heartfelt congratulations.
-Stu

ramenth

Reaction score
Thanks all. You guys are the cream of the crop.

A lot of you folks have helped me through this past year. For that I'm thankful.

74chlngrTT5.9

Reaction score
Congratulations.

Gives me hope. Will be interviewing for a position in a manufacturing plant in 35 minutes at a place probably local to Moparleo...

Mike.

sheetmetaldan

Reaction score
Glad to hear you found some work! This recovery still has a long way to go, heck i`m not sure it`s even started! I haven't seen a paycheck all year and am about to lose my mind! I have one good lead in my trade right now and hope to get some good news this Friday!

ramenth

Reaction score
Glad to hear you found some work! This recovery still has a long way to go, heck i`m not sure it`s even started! I haven't seen a paycheck all year and am about to lose my mind! I have one good lead in my trade right now and hope to get some good news this Friday!

Circumstances led me out of my trade.

Over the past 20+ years I've been professionally paid to do everything automotive except drive and sell. Started out as a detailer in a local dealership body shop and less than ten years later I was pulling frames. In the meantime Pop and I owned and operated our full line body shop. Went to the dark side and started turning wrenches. Went from brakes and struts to dealership driveability in just a few short years. The shop I just closed down I did everything under the sun. Body, paint, glass, full line mechanical with a specialty in complex computer driveability. I'm the only guy in the area who's got these qualifications, and one of the very few guys in the area who can tear down a carb on one car and turn around and plug in the scanner for running PIDS.

It was time for a change.

Now, I'm gonna make this new job mine.

And I'm gonna build my garage and focus on what I've always loved: antique cars.

btceng

Reaction score
Great news, Robert. I am glad that you have caught a break. You deserve it and I know that you'll do great. It's good that you're open to change. Not many of us will approach it like that. That's what it takes today.

Back