• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

hood insulation attachment

70rag

Reaction score
70 Challenger
Hood insulation has 15 holes to attach to the hood.
Holes in hood are .230 and the metal clips measure .280, they wont fit.
I measured the width on the clips that DO NOT squeeze together it's physically too large.
I really don't want to drill out the hood or grind each side of each clip.
Any thoughts appreciated.

toolmanmike

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
70 Challenger
Hood insulation has 15 holes to attach to the hood.
Holes in hood are .230 and the metal clips measure .280, they wont fit.
I measured the width on the clips that DO NOT squeeze together it's physically too large.
I really don't want to drill out the hood or grind each side of each clip.
Any thoughts appreciated.
I went to Napa and bought some plastic "Christmas Trees" Mopar numbers of course. Way better than those original style clips that don't fit.

20160626_140706.jpg

heminut

Reaction score
I got mine from Detroit Muscle with the underhood pad and used the plastic clips. I had no problem putting them in. The reason I went with the plastic clips instead of metal was because it was pointed out that in case of and underhood fire, the plastic clips would melt and let the pad drop down to help smother the fire. I know, it's a pretty ludicrous claim but hey, you never know right?

toolmanmike

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have the part # from NAPA?
Sorry no. I don't think I ever wrote it down. They have packages on the hooks out front. Most would probably work but I chose the Mopar ones. Just pick out what you think will work.

Mr Cuda

Reaction score
The reproduction metal rectangle style clips don't fit well, and the metal quality has no "spring", so they fall out once you tap them in.
The large plastic disc style work well, but sure don't look right. I think the 72-78 plastic tab rectangle type are still available, wrong also.
That leaves used, factory type.

toolmanmike

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The reproduction metal rectangle style clips don't fit well, and the metal quality has no "spring", so they fall out once you tap them in.
The large plastic disc style work well, but sure don't look right. I think the 72-78 plastic tab rectangle type are still available, wrong also.
That leaves used, factory type.
Exactly what I found out. If your are restoring a 100 point car NOS or excellent used would be the way to go. If you just want to firmly attach and look nice the Christmas trees work and look fine. So many things have been changed on my car that some plastic clips won't hurt.

cuda joe

Reaction score
i banged the metal clips in they are supposed to be a bit larger the ends push in then spread apart once in the hole

toolmanmike

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I liked the plastic clips because they didn't chip the paint.

Back