• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

hood springs

cornflake440

Reaction score
I have a question. My 1970 challenger RT needs hood hinge springs. I've been looking for them and have found a few but they all say "hood hinge springs for TA or Cuda." Now I'm pretty sure they should fit my challenger but I would like to make sure that they will. And if they do then why does everyone say for TA or Cuda and not challenger?

burntorange70

Reaction score
I don't know about the "Cuda" part but a TA has a glass hood so I would think that the spring is not as stiff as a stock steel hood spring would be and will not hold up the weight of a stock hood. But thats just a guess.

sheetmetaldan

Reaction score
I would assume the T/A hoods would use the same spring as the AAR hood both are fiberglass. I know the AAR`s came with lighter springs.I put a repro AAR hood on my Barracuda the springs that I ordered for it were awful they came from Penstar. Spring tension was way too tight and the springs had a bright shine to them almost like chrome nearly bowed the hood closing it just like an original. I would avoid them.
There are original type springs for sale out there around $50-$60 bucks if I remember correctly. However if originality is not a concern you can buy trampoline springs here http://www.nexternal.com/shared/Sto...reType=BtoC&Count1=374599635&Count2=291740059 I had a couple extra from my kids trampoline so I didn`t have to buy any :) they work great, and for $17.00 you get 5 of them.The 5.5 inch spring holds my hood up no problem and it closes nice and easy.
Just to be clear everything I mentioned here is for Barracuda hinges i`m no expert on Challenger stuff you may need a different hinge than the 5.5 inch one I used.

Moparparts

Reaction score
The AAR and T/A both had fiberglass hoods but springs are not the same they are different from each other. Fiberglass hood springs will not work on a steel hood. I may have some for you 70 R/T and will PM you if i do

cornflake440

Reaction score
Oh! Well that makes sense! different hood types, different springs. Thanks for clearing that up for me. So do the springs have to be specifically for a 1970 Challenger? or could I go to the auto parts store and buy some hood springs for any car that are the same size?
Thanks again guys!

Back