• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hooker Super Comp headers on a small block anyone?

DrEamer

Reaction score
I'm just searching to see if anyone has ran them. I know TTI is the standard, but seems like I can catch good deals on pre owned Hookers now and again. It seems like the small blocks have a lot of room to work with, so fit might be a little less critical then say a R/RB engine.

AUSTA

Reaction score
i use the HKR5115 On my TA the only mod i had to do was cut the 3 bolt flange off and fit a taper as 1 of the bolts point directly down & couldn't get the minimum 4 " clearance required for licensing

DrEamer

Reaction score
i use the HKR5115 On my TA the only mod i had to do was cut the 3 bolt flange off and fit a taper as 1 of the bolts point directly down & couldn't get the minimum 4 " clearance required for licensing

Do you know if a TA sits lower then a standard Challenger? I am somewhat concerned with ground clearance since my car will be lowered.

AUSTA

Reaction score
From the ground to the top of the chrome head light bezel is 27 inches measured at the hood gap
The lowest part of the collector is 3 inches to ground

Rob C

Reaction score
I also run the Hooker Super Comps on my ‘73-4spd small block Cuda. IF! The did not have a Lakewood’s bell housing, fit would be called perfectly supreme.
These headers also work extremely well in my ‘79, 360/727 Magnum.

Fit & fitting them in was easier than the TTI headers.
At this point, I refuse to use another header.
Unless the TTI’s come to me cheap.

Dougs!?!?!
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

OK, they may fit well. There also a 1-5/8 tube correct?
They are a very good header no doubt.

FWIW, the Hookers are 1-3/4. Fitting them into the car was very easy unlike the regular 1 size fits all crap as header being built for the last... 50 years????

DrEamer

Reaction score
I also run the Hooker Super Comps on my ‘73-4spd small block Cuda. IF! The did not have a Lakewood’s bell housing, fit would be called perfectly supreme.
These headers also work extremely well in my ‘79, 360/727 Magnum.

Fit & fitting them in was easier than the TTI headers.
At this point, I refuse to use another header.
Unless the TTI’s come to me cheap.

Dougs!?!?!
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

OK, they may fit well. There also a 1-5/8 tube correct?
They are a very good header no doubt.

FWIW, the Hookers are 1-3/4. Fitting them into the car was very easy unlike the regular 1 size fits all crap as header being built for the last... 50 years????

Rumblefish, you know me too well :D. Ya, the 1 3/4 is sort of important with my 408, it's one of the reasons I ruled out Doug's . As always, I appreciate the input. Now to go find a pair of cheap used Hooker's !!! (Pun intended) :lol:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
The 5115 Hookers are a decent fit , they stay above the steering center link unlike almost all of the others , might want to ceramic coat them before installing them .

DrEamer

Reaction score
The 5115 Hookers are a decent fit , they stay above the steering center link unlike almost all of the others , might want to ceramic coat them before installing them .

I plan on using Cerakote Glacier series coatings, which are available in colors other then the normal ultra shiny, want to be chrome. I want something that makes the headers blend into the engine, and has a more stock appearence colorwise.

DrEamer

Reaction score
Thanks all to those who replied and offered guidance. I scored a real nice set of Super Comp's today for a decent price off craigslist.

20200607_181536.jpg

Last edited:

gzig5

Reaction score
Thanks all to those who replied and offered guidance. I scored a real nice set of Super Comp's today for a decent price off craigslist.

View attachment 72038
Congrats!
Let me know if you run across another set. I don't think I've run across any around here used. They seem to be about the same price new as the TTI. I'm going to need something to replace these Heddman that got bent going on the trailer.

DrEamer

Reaction score
Congrats!
Let me know if you run across another set. I don't think I've run across any around here used. They seem to be about the same price new as the TTI. I'm going to need something to replace these Heddman that got bent going on the trailer.

There is this set on the B body forum, maybe a little on the rough side though.

FOR SALE - Hooker headers

gzig5

Reaction score
There is this set on the B body forum, maybe a little on the rough side though.

FOR SALE - Hooker headers

Thanks for that heads up. I received them today from NC. Shipping was a bit stiff but I think the motor is going to like them so it should be worth it. Seller didn't beat on them but I don't know what the person who did it, was thinking. Why there? I should be able to heat and pound out most of the dents from the inside. They won't look too bad and I'll have a lot more clearance than the Hedman that are on there now.

DrEamer

Reaction score
Thanks for that heads up. I received them today from NC. Shipping was a bit stiff but I think the motor is going to like them so it should be worth it. Seller didn't beat on them but I don't know what the person who did it, was thinking. Why there? I should be able to heat and pound out most of the dents from the inside. They won't look too bad and I'll have a lot more clearance than the Hedman that are on there now.

Always glad to help a fellow Mopar owner when I can. I'm glad they will work for you. I am a little envious that yours has the Hooker Super Competition metal badge, and mine does not.

MAPS

Reaction score
Maybe it's on account they are not the "Super" comp.
In all seriousness, I'd the headers are what you were looking for that work for you it don't matter if they have pink header bolts, JMO.
Hope (both) you enjoy your car and headers..
MAPS

Mopar Mitch

Reaction score
I run the Hooker 5115 (coated).. they clear the Fast Ratio steering pitman arm, and just a small hit/notch required for the aftermarket C-Body longer Idler arm (aka "fast ratio idler arm" by those who don't know that it's simply a C-body idler arm). BUT, the ports don't match the gasket and exhaust castings very well... may need HI-TEMP JBWELD (as I've done) to putty up around the header flange for the gaskets to the head... and flat file them smooth... no more leakage... after past 35plus years of (minor) exhaust leakage from the heads. The ceramic coating still looks good!

Next set may possibly, be TTi... for best fitment.

gzig5

Reaction score
I noticed that the ports are pretty big on the ones I got. I'm sure they don't fit a J-head very well. Might be closer on the ProMaxx aluminum heads, but if there is an issue, I was going to weld them up where needed to match the gasket or seal. Mine are ugly and uncoated so I can do whatever I need to with them, and then send them out for coating if I get that far.

MAPS

Reaction score
I noticed that the ports are pretty big on the ones I got. I'm sure they don't fit a J-head very well. Might be closer on the ProMaxx aluminum heads, but if there is an issue, I was going to weld them up where needed to match the gasket or seal. Mine are ugly and uncoated so I can do whatever I need to with them, and then send them out for coating if I get that far.
I got me a set of Hooker Super Comp (adjustable) Headers (5303) no flange on these lol
I thought it was going to be an issue but I found how easy it really is now.
I think these are the best headers ever made for our beloved small block Mopar.
This assumption has been paved from the members that I know are bona fide experts lol
All kidding side read up on them and sees for yourselves. Better yet if you can find a set get them.
I was lucky I paid peanuts for mine.
Peanuts for me is about the price of a decal set for a 70 cuda hockey stick decal with change left over.
Thanks.
MAPS

fasjac

Reaction score
I got me a set of Hooker Super Comp (adjustable) Headers (5303) no flange on these lol
I thought it was going to be an issue but I found how easy it really is now.
I think these are the best headers ever made for our beloved small block Mopar.
This assumption has been paved from the members that I know are bona fideistic experts lol
All kidding side read up on them and sees for yourselves. Better yet if you can find a set get them.
I was lucky I paid peanuts for mine.
Peanuts for me is about the price of a decal set for a 70 cuda hockey stick decal with change left over.
Thanks.
MAPS
That Jet Hot Coating is really nice.

Back