• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

How does the push to remove key collar work???

rklein71

Reaction score
I am converting my column shift steering column to a floor shift column in my 71 Barracuda. I believe I have all the right collars and parts. I have already removed the inner tube and installed the spring washer that the bottom collar sits on. I can't figure out how the push to remove key collar works. I must be missing a lever or something. Does anyone have a picture of the pieces or a good description of how it works?

Thanks

rklein71

Reaction score
Okay, I went to the junkyard today and found a middle eighties pickup that had a floor mounted steering column. There is a spring that is behind the lowest collar that keeps the tab up. In the lowest collar is a raised area that keeps the lever that locks the steering wheel from dropping into the slots of the pinwheel thingamajig. By depressing the get the key out tab, it allows the key to be turned because the lever is now free to drop and lock the steering wheel. Sorry about the technical terms....

PS The eighties years dodge pickups had very similar collars and can be used to convert your column shift column to a floor shift column. This one did not have the little warning that the E-body ones have that tells you how to get the key out. The ignition lock locks into the collar a little differently than the E-body but looks exactly the same once you have it installed. If you are doing a driver, it's a lot cheaper than buying an E-body column.

Back