• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

How rare is a cuda with factory air?

robert power

Reaction score
I read somewhere that Chrysler corp would put certain cars on display with slant six engines because it was cheaper for a display car .My car is a 1971 barracuda convertible.Power top,power disc brakes,power steering,curious yellow high impact paint but only a slant six engine .Hard to believe that someone ordered it like that but is possible.Thinking maybe used for display because of its paint color .anyone know if there is a way to find out?

70chall440

Reaction score
I read somewhere that Chrysler corp would put certain cars on display with slant six engines because it was cheaper for a display car .My car is a 1971 barracuda convertible.Power top,power disc brakes,power steering,curious yellow high impact paint but only a slant six engine .Hard to believe that someone ordered it like that but is possible.Thinking maybe used for display because of its paint color .anyone know if there is a way to find out?

Thats possible but unless you have documentation to that effect there is no way to tell. There are a variety of reasons that could explain why your car was built the way it was;

• someone liked yellow but wanted a /6
  • a dealer ordered the yellow car to put into the show room since yellow is eye catching
  • the plant just made it "because"
There is no telling with Mopar, they did all sorts of things for no apparent reason back then. We would all like to think that a specific car was created for a specific reason, thus has a back story but the truth is that many unique and interesting cars were made purely by happenstance. You have to remember that that in manufacturing inventory is revenue so to stay ahead of the "game" parts need to go out the door and this includes paint. Subsequently, the plant is going to manage its inventory on a daily basis and attempt to get as much of it gone as possible.

There is margin built into everything so even though the plant might make a relatively expensive car in an attempt to reduce inventory, the company could negotiate the cost to the dealer; in other words they would reduce the price of the vehicle to an acceptable level to get dealers to take them with the promise that the dealer could actually make more money because it was a more valuable car (option wise).

On the flip side of this is ordered cars and why some cars were ordered with seemingly odd and random options or in some cases a lack of options. No telling why people do what they do, in some cases it is complete ignorance on the part of the buyer and the salesman, i.e. a new salesman not understanding what is "standard" on a model and not informing the buyer, thus a car arrives with a /6 when they thought it would have a 383 or something.

The list and reasons are endless which is why so many attempt to find the previous owners to try and get the story.

robert power

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.Not sure how to find previous owners ,any idea?

sir_veza

Reaction score
I've not been into mopars or cars for that matter near as long as most of you here. Since I started my interest in mopars in about 94-95 I've been fascinated with fender tags and options. Not once have I seen or recorded identical cars. Every single cars is a 1 or 1. There will be something different about every single car. At least that's what I have seen.

Is anyone out there able to remember fleet orders where there were 2 cars ordered exactly the same. Zero difference's with exception of vin number and sequence number.

Even less possible, anyone have a picture of two fender tags that match? And then does the build sheet match?
For many years I worked in the manufacturing sector, (not automotive but along the same principles). A few of my colleagues were engineers originally from the auto sector and your comment about the fender tags rang a bell. Basically up until the mid to late 80's fender tags were apparently a hit and miss event at some auto facilities until QC & QA functions became more of robust function. The broadcast sheet was more of the trusted source.

70chall440

Reaction score
For many years I worked in the manufacturing sector, (not automotive but along the same principles). A few of my colleagues were engineers originally from the auto sector and your comment about the fender tags rang a bell. Basically up until the mid to late 80's fender tags were apparently a hit and miss event at some auto facilities until QC & QA functions became more of robust function. The broadcast sheet was more of the trusted source.

This is very true of Chrysler in the 70s between the various plants (LA and Hamtramck). That said, LA did not routinely put broadcast sheets into the cars so you are left with the fender tag. I believe that Hamtramck was much more organized and rigid when it came to stamping the tags and putting the broadcast sheets into the cars.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
"There is no telling with Mopar, they did all sorts of things for no apparent reason back then. We would all like to think that a specific car was created for a specific reason, thus has a back story but the truth is that many unique and interesting cars were made purely by happenstance. You have to remember that that in manufacturing inventory is revenue so to stay ahead of the "game" parts need to go out the door and this includes paint. Subsequently, the plant is going to manage its inventory on a daily basis and attempt to get as much of it gone as possible."

"On the flip side of this is ordered cars and why some cars were ordered with seemingly odd and random options or in some cases a lack of options."
This is so true. As options became available, and the parts supply-chain filled the plant with parts, a lot of unique combos were built. At the end of the model year, numerous options had to be put on the cars going out the door. Look at these two Cuda fender tags with Scheduled Production Dates (SPDs) of 720 and sequential VINs that both have optional split-back bucket seats with folding armrests. Hamtramck was not going to be left holding 1970-only pattern seats, especially these optional bench seats!

BS23N0B425412 and BS23N0B425413.jpg

Optional Split-Back Bench Seats with folding center armrest.jpg

sir_veza

Reaction score
This is very true of Chrysler in the 70s between the various plants (LA and Hamtramck). That said, LA did not routinely put broadcast sheets into the cars so you are left with the fender tag. I believe that Hamtramck was much more organized and rigid when it came to stamping the tags and putting the broadcast sheets into the cars.
Sorry, should have been more specific. Was generally referring to Chrysler, Ford and GM. Apparently when the Japanese started focusing more on Production Control and Quality is when our big three started to take better note...

NoCar340

Reaction score
This is so true. As options became available, and the parts supply-chain filled the plant with parts, a lot of unique combos were built. At the end of the model year, numerous options had to be put on the cars going out the door.
The '74s are spectacular examples of this phenomenon. "They're goin' away, fellas... use up some of these parts!" My '74 was Dark Moonstone with a gold vinyl top (I found remnants of both) and a black interior... I guess they had some gold tops that needed to disappear, because visually that combo would put a buzzard off its lunch. It was a non-Rallye 318 auto with AC, AM/FM w/3-speaker dash & fader, manual steering, manual disc brakes, light group, clock, 3-speed wipers, dual chrome racing mirrors and a sport hood. It had a lot of options for a manual steering/brake car, many of which used E-body-specific bits. Meth wasn't really a thing yet, so I think it's safe to assume my car was a Sales Bank flunkie. My car also had a T-handle Slap Stik, but most '74s have the '70-style walnut knob shifter, which is what's listed in the parts book... but it has a low (106xxx) sequence number, so who knows? I think a lot of silliness occurred at the bitter end.

Of course, none of that matters much to me. The car will be about as true to original as the Monkeemobile by the time I'm done with it. 😁

70chall440

Reaction score
I have to say that I have never seen a 70 knob on a 74 (or a 72-73) that wasn't put there by an owner. I have no doubt that it happened, just that I have never seen one.

Speaking of odd, back in the day a buddy of mine bought a 73 Challenger, it was black with a green interior, was a rallye but had a 318 and AT. I can't remember any other options but it was fugly, he got a smoking deal on it and flipped to a female who loved it.

NoCar340

Reaction score
I have to say that I have never seen a 70 knob on a 74 (or a 72-73) that wasn't put there by an owner. I have no doubt that it happened, just that I have never seen one.
My car is one of very few '74s I've personally seen that actually has a T-handle. I've always thought it was strange that they went back to the woodgrain. I just assumed it was a "leftover parts" deal, but as I said there's no reference to the T-handle in the parts book.

70chall440

Reaction score
If I have learned anything with Mopar is never to say never. Like I said, I don't doubt that they had them but I never saw any but then again I admit that for a very long time I lumped 72-74 together. My 74 had a T handle I am pretty sure but now I am going to have to dig out some photo albums and check... lol

moparlee

Reaction score
Check out page 4 and enlarge the console picture. Yep, that is a woodgrain ball shifter. I was very surprised to see this.
1974 Dodge Challenger Brochure (Canada Version)

And again in the US Brochure.
http://oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/Dodge/1974_Dodge/1974 Dodge Dart & Challenger Foldout/b_1974 Dodge Dart & Challenger Foldout-04-05.jpg

View attachment 82536
You really can't hang your hat on everything that is shown in the sales brochures.
Heck, in '71 they have a picture and write up on a T/A.

70chall440

Reaction score
I have done a little researching and looking online, through the books I have and I am going to go out on a limb here and say that 74 E/B bodies got the T handle and not the 70 woodgrain ball. In fact I am pretty confident that pretty much everything after 70 got the T handle. I know the brochure shows that woodgrain ball but as stated, you cannot rely on those to be accurate for the production models.

Now with this said, I would not be surprised if some 71's had the woodgrain balls as the plant was trying to get rid of the inventory but by 74 that would have been gone.

70chall440

Reaction score
There are many examples of Mopar doing all sorts of things that were/are crazy. 440-6 station wagons, Hemi 4 doors, etc.

Back