• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

I just bought a 1970 Barracuda!

MikeAAR

Reaction score
Hi I'm Mike form central Illinois. I bought my first 'Cuda in 1973 - a 1970 AAR. I bought my second AAR 'Cuda from a member of the SIAC in Columbus Ohio. Next was a '71 Challenger RT - 383 auto. After that I bought a 1971 Barracuda - 318 auto. And somewhere in there I bought a basket case '72 Barracuda that I sold as a basket case to a fellow who put it back together - with a 426 Hemi under the hood! All that was "back in the day" and they all found new homes in time. I consider myself a Mopar guy, even though I haven't owned an E body for years. I still have lots of Mopar parts.
I recently bought a '70 Barracuda off of an estate sale. It needs a lot of work, but it makes me happy just looking at it! I really don't know a lot about the car but I think it was an old racecar that was put on the street more than 20 years ago. It has a 440 auto with some go-faster parts. And yes, it goes faster, scary fast because the steering (power) is very loose. That's the first thing to correct. I will be looking for lots of parts, and recommendations of where to get them. I will need to ask for you all to share some of your knowledge too. My plan is to get the car drivable, then as I make improvements I hope to turn it into a 440-6 powered AAR lookalike, with AAR suspension, etc. While I would love to have an original AAR again, I feel pretty good about the car I have now because I don't feel bad about modifying it. I wouldn't do that to an original AAR.

fasjac

Reaction score
Welcome to the site Mike! Nice history of your Mopars.
You’re in the right place for help with your project. These guys really have a lot of knowledge of these cars.
Can we see it?

1972 AAR Cuda

Reaction score
Welcome from a fellow AAR Cuda fan!!!
I am also in the process of creating my own AAR Cuda. Mine will be created from 72 340 Cuda and a 6sp manual.

Mopar Nut

Reaction score
IMG_5970.jpeg

MikeAAR

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from the Motor City!
Thank you all for the warm welcome!
Here are a couple of pics from the listing for the car. DetMatt - you may know this car? The prior owner was in the Detroit metro area and reportedly enjoyed participating in car shows, etc.
The son, who was selling the car didn't give me much information about it, maybe he didn't know much about his dads car obsessions? He did say his dad "finished" the restoration in the 2001 timeframe. It looks like an original white car. Anyway, vin shows it was a 318 Hamtrack car, with AC. I was told it sat for about 10 years before I bought it. It doesn't have a fender tag. The car currently has a 440 with a '78 casting number on the block - originally a motorhome engine? Torker intake with a Demon carb. The trans has a reverse shift valve body with no kick down rod, and an odd cable control shifter. The 8 3/4 rear has aftermarket axles, 3:91 gears and posi (spool?). It has headers and what I think is a 3" exhaust with crossover. It fits OK, but it's tight. And loud.
It needs a lot of work.
2023-10-29_12.42.16.jpg2023-10-29_12.42.45.jpg2023-10-29_12.47.22.jpg

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
Welcome to the show. Nice looking hot rod. If you go slow in a very tight turn, and the inside turning circle rear tire chirps/hops a little, it's a spool.

Back