• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

FOUND Idler pulley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odin

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
i need a good fan belt idler pulley used on factory AC cars from 69 to 74. It’s the pulley that cant be disassembled and has the spot welded bearing cover on the back side. Part 2240397. The bearing is shot in mine and it squeals loudly. It has a flat-sided stud through the bearing and the back side is sealed with a couple factory spot welds.

2018-05-02 001.JPG

2018-05-02 002.JPG

2018-05-02 003.JPG

Last edited:

Moparparts

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some of those idler pulleys and brackets, but they are all used bearings that spin OK and don't have excessive play but you really don't know exactly how they will be until you run them. You probably could drill those spot welds and install a new bearing

Odin

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some of those idler pulleys and brackets, but they are all used bearings that spin OK and don't have excessive play but you really don't know exactly how they will be until you run them. You probably could drill those spot welds and install a new bearing
I tried drilling and grinding the spot welds to no avail. It was obviously not meant to come apart. I destroyed the OE pulley in the process. I ended up buying a cheap replacement and fabricating the bolt. Now I still have the squeal so i possibly ruined a good pulley for nothing. I’ve narrowed the squeal down to the fan clutch, or the belt slipping on the water pump pulley under a load. I feel like I’m chasing my tail. Now I’m thinking about changing the water pump pulley to a two-groove and running the water pump and power steering pump on the same belt. Then I can eliminate the idler pulley and one belt completely. I just don’t know which water pump pulley to get

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back