• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

I'm thinking of giving up my car...

BIGSHCLUNK

Reaction score
Aren't old cars fun!? Now add arthritis into the mix (dating myself here). Just break the project down into smaller pieces. You'll see more progress and feel better about it!

Supershafts

Reaction score
spend some time/ money on the wife. Make her feel like number 1. It will make it a lot easier to decide which way to go.

I read he re-did a room and it was a family room ATTACHED to a powder room..... and 3k worth of interior items...

I don't know about you but interior items and powder rooms are for the ladies . . .

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Maybe he forgot to remodel the house with the same enthusiasm and the big smile on his face that he has when he's working on the car...

djais1801

Reaction score
For those readers, I bought Greg's 86 GT...it was fast..but I too missed the muscle cars I used to have, and ironically followed in his footsteps to Mopars..Greg, I also know what you have into her...
DO NOT SELL HER!! Like the previous guys said..don't rush to your vision of her done...get her on the road. stay with the wheels, do the bare essentials to run, steer, and stop. Then slowly stockpile the parts.
I put almost 2500 into fixing the hidden can of worms the previous owner left me...and my wife is starting to pay attention $$$.
I wanted to get cop wheels and a rear spoiler, and was about to pull the trigger on a 4 spd swap. I pulled back, because she's not running right...so i am going with what i need..which is tires on the existing ralleyes (no cop wheels)..replace the carb,etc..
Don't obsess about the car, get her running and then pay attention to family matters until the wife cools her jets.
You will NEVER find the deal you found on her...remember that!

Super-G

Reaction score
I'm NOT selling. I took some time and chilled out.

Then I hit the car with full force. I spent the last 3 weekends working on it and it's just about ready to fire up. All that's left to do right now is to hook up the head pipes to the manifolds, install the battery, top off/double check all the fluids, and turn the key but that will have to wait until next weekend.

Once the car's running and the little bugs are iron'd out, I'm going to do new brakes at all 4 corners and a new master cylinder and she'll be done for this cruise season.

I just had to vent and got PO'd.

ramenth

Reaction score
I'm NOT selling. I took some time and chilled out.

Then I hit the car with full force. I spent the last 3 weekends working on it and it's just about ready to fire up. All that's left to do right now is to hook up the head pipes to the manifolds, install the battery, top off/double check all the fluids, and turn the key but that will have to wait until next weekend.

Once the car's running and the little bugs are iron'd out, I'm going to do new brakes at all 4 corners and a new master cylinder and she'll be done for this cruise season.

Great news!

Super-G said:
I just had to vent and got PO'd.

That's what we're here for!

shadango

Reaction score
Glad to see you hanging on.

The first year I had my fish I felt the same way...always SOMETHING.

But I prioritized and just wanted to get her street worthy.

In my case, different rims can wait, tires are a requirement.

Sway bars are great, but not needed to drive the car.

That sort of thing.

Now, 3 years later, the upgrades come at a slower pace and I really enjoy the car as-is, and she is by no means perfect.

Funny you mention the new STangs......my wife has an '11 Mustang v6 and it gives my tweaked 318 a very good run for the money.....and it is QUICK (not just fast).

ANd dont get me wrong, LOVE that car of hers.

But driving my fish is a much more satisfying experience than driving her mustang......the smells, sounds, creaks and rattles, rough idle, etc.....all contribute to the overall experience.

The fact that a Chrysler minivan has as much or maybe more HP than my fish doesnt matter to me.......my ride still looks better than 99% of the new vehicles out there, in my eyes. :laughing6:

djais1801

Reaction score
I agree...the mustang that Greg and I owned was fast and loud..but unless you were a car guy-it didn't get much notice (for me anyway)..
I missed having something nostalgic, and got looks from everybody..not just car guys...VAIN? maybe...but I can live with that!
Glad to see you came to your senses "G"...after all, i didn't want to have to drive back to your house with a pocket full of $100's for a second time...haha!!

Super-G

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more. As nice as the white 86 was, it wasn't a Musclecar. At least not what I call a Musclecar. I know many times I took my family out for ice cream in the car with the top down and barely got any attention.

I got more "thumbs up" the day I towed my Challenger home than I did on a nice sunny day in the Mustang.

I've re-dedicated myself to getting the Challenger done for spring. Honestly at this point there isn't too much left and I fully expect the car to be on the road and street legal by the end of April. Just in time for spring cruising.

michael

Reaction score
It took me 5 years to get my challenger on the road better that than one day in any ford

djais1801

Reaction score
Me too...driving my Satellite home on the trailer in the first 20 minutes on NY Thruway I got looks and thumbs up, never got anything w/ the stanger..
Hopefully she will be done by the end of April also..have a laundry list of little stuff. Just changed the Carb, Intake, Valley Pan. still have some electrical stuff (no dash or dome lights) when i hit the hi-beams the lights get crossed.

Back