• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

I'm thinking of giving up my car...

Super-G

Reaction score
I bought my Challenger in October. It's my first Musclecar in about 5 years. I got out of Musclecars for a little while when my 2nd child was born because we wanted to move into a bigger home.

I branched off into 5.0 Mustangs for a short while due to the fact that they are V8, stick shift performance cars, plus real nice ones are available for a fraction of the cost of a Musclecar. $5000.00 buys you a really nice car.

But the overwhelming desire to be back into a Musclecar soon took over and the 5.0 Mustang was sold and some extra cash saved up was added to the Mustang money and I scored my Challenger.

I bought it off the son of the original owner because the body was straight and rust free. The car had been sitting in a garage for the better part of 4-5 years. I thought it would be relatively easy to bring it home, clean it up, and get it up and running.

The problem is that I keep running into little stuff here and there and little stuff all adds up. I really hoped to have the car on the road by spring and I'm not sure that's gonna happen now.

My last car which was an 86 Mustang GT convertible was a running, driving, painted, super clean, nicely modified ride and I kind of miss that. I just feel like even once I actually get my car started there's still a ton of stuff to get done and I'm running out of time, money, and frankly patience.

I'm just pissed!

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
I feel your pain, as I'm sure a few more on this forum do. I've just decided it will take as long as it takes to get mine completed. I don't want to skimp, but I'm also not going overboard. Hang in there, family and home come first. And 5.0 'Stangs are a dime a dozen, your Challenger is not!

RexDub

Reaction score
If You want to get rid of the Challenger let me know I've been looking for a while, But my advice, don't give it up, Mustangs are a dime a dozen, but Mopars.. well Mopars rock! Haha good luck man.

- Rex

RexDub

Reaction score
I feel your pain, as I'm sure a few more on this forum do. I've just decided it will take as long as it takes to get mine completed. I don't want to skimp, but I'm also not going overboard. Hang in there, family and home come first. And 5.0 'Stangs are a dime a dozen, your Challenger is not!

NO! Now it looks like I copied you! lol

Super-G

Reaction score
I know....I know....If I sold my Challenger I wouldn definitely NOT be going back into a 5.0 Mustang. I had a nice one and the whole time I had it, I was wishing I was back in a Musclecar.

I just can't stop thinking that if I sold my Challenger and got exactly what I paid for it, that I could score another lesser car that might not be as cool but would be running and driving.

My biggest problem is that I just don't have a crystal ball!

RexDub

Reaction score
It's always a risk man, just do what you think is best.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that you're feeling down about your car. What exactly is giving you problems on it?

ramenth

Reaction score
What exactly is giving you problems on it?

That's what I was wondering. Maybe we can help. With tricks of the trade, quality short cuts, reliable, yet inexpensive parts advice, there's a lot of quality folks on here.

I used to be in the restoration game, professionally. When it came time to figure the cost of the estimate for a customer it was the nickle and dime stuff that started to add up. And slowed progress.

I spent two weeks, one time, cleaning and detailing small parts. The customer was starting to get upset, wondering what I was charging him for, and not seeing any real progress on his car.

My response was, "be patient."

In the end, when the car was done, he found his patience had paid off: his car appraised at $150,000 (and he's had a serious offer on that amount, too). More to his satisfaction, though, is that out on cruises, parked at local shows, even idling through parades, it gains all kinds of attention. That puts a smile on his face more than the monetary value.

Just keep thinking about the kind of smile you'll have when it's done.

moparleo

Reaction score
Just what are the main problems that have got you down? Any car that has sat for 5 or more years is probably going to need all of the fluids changed- gas, oil, transmission if it is an automatic, brake fluid . Gas tank might needs cleaning out or replacing depends on internal condition , check rubber lines to fuel pump, possibly fuel pump itself if the diaphram has dried out. Accelerator pump or more depending on carb type. Complete brake system inspection, wheel cylinders for leaks, corrosion or more. That is why the worst thing to do to any car is to not use it. Tires also go bad with age, check the tires D.O.T. code to see how old the rubber is, replace if over 6-10 years old if you will drive at hiway speeds.

74 challenger

Reaction score
Its funny since you mentioned a 5.0 I sold my 69 rt 440 charger last year and desided to buy my 1st ebodie.Couldnt find one so thought a mustang is cheap and easy to find parts so go that route.Found my 74 challenger and was missing parts ,burnt wires ect ect.The challenger will be worth more then any 5.0 out there in the long run.Alot of guys helped me out here and sold me parts at a very cheap price.Hang in there and ask everyone to help you on your car.They help me so much and even gave me yes gave me parts.Take one problem at a time because if you look at everything at once you will go crazy.Good luck and God bless dave

Super-G

Reaction score
OK here's a list of things that need to be done to get the car roadworthy:

run all the fuel lines from the new fuel pump to the carb...cheap and easy

buy a new throttle cable bracket and install...about $100.00

new air cleaner....$45.00

new plug wires....$50.00

install the new head pipes (already bought and paid for)....buy new mufflers ($100.00) and then take the car to a muffler shop to have tailpipes made (about $250.00)

miscelleanous fluids and oil change....$50.00

The entire brake system needs to be replaced...needing new master cyl, new front rotors, new bearings, seals, calipers, and brake hoses....all new rear brakes including new drums, wheel cylinders, new shoes, and combi kits... about $500.00 worth of parts plus an entire weekend to do the job.

The old tires are dry rotted so I need 4 new tires plus I HATE the Centerline rims and they must GO. So I'm figuring about $600.00 for tires and another $5-600.00 for a set of Magnum 500's or if I can get lucky and score some used Torque Thrusts...so about $1000.00 to $1200.00 for tires and rims

All totalled up I'm thinking that I need another $2500.00 to get my car on the road.

That total probably doesn't sound too bad to most people...but also figure in that in the past 3-4 months I bought the Challenger, I've already spent about $1500.00 on it in other parts, plus I spent $800.00 in the beginning of December on much needed tires and an alignment on my Suburban which is my daily driver. Then my wife and I spent about $1500.00 on Christmas for our 2 kids and our 2 families. Then 8 frigging days after Christmas the heater in my house took a crap and that was a $3200.00 bill. All the while I have been re-doing my family room which required new paint, new trim, new ceramic tile in the attached powder room, new carpet, and yesterday we spent about $3000.00 on new furniture.

All totalled up I've spent well over $10,000 in the last 3-4 months and the well is running dry.

I love my Challenger and I hate the thought of parting with it but I'm at the end of my rope and beginning to hear crap from my wife who for the past 15 years has been an avid supporter of my car hobby and has never once squawked about my cars or the money I've spent on them.

I'm just lost as to what is the right move.

moparleo

Reaction score
Sounds about right. Isn't life a b*****. I would put the car on the back burner and spend some time/ money on the wife. Make her feel like number 1. It will make it a lot easier to decide which way to go.

H-Pattern

Reaction score
Put in on blocks in the garage for now. The time will come when you will be able to get it on the road.
If you sell it you will most likley end up kicking youself in the A$$ for selling it.
Just hang on to it for now...

DetMatt1

Reaction score
If you tried to sell before these items are fixed you won't get near as much for the car as you would if it were done. At this point I think its in your best interest financially to finish the car. Take your time and prioritize all you've got going on. I know maybe you thought you were buying a done car but it turns out you've got yourself a project and for 1 reason or another these things take time. Be patient my friend and take it one issue at a time.
Good luck and don't give up.

ramenth

Reaction score
OK here's a list of things that need to be done to get the car roadworthy:

run all the fuel lines from the new fuel pump to the carb...cheap and easy

Start there. A minimum amount of investment, a little time involved, and you walk away with a sense of accomplishment.

Super-G said:
buy a new throttle cable bracket and install...about $100.00

new air cleaner....$45.00

new plug wires....$50.00

install the new head pipes (already bought and paid for)....buy new mufflers ($100.00) and then take the car to a muffler shop to have tailpipes made (about $250.00)

miscelleanous fluids and oil change....$50.00

Prioritize. Which fits into your budget to do these things now or in the near future?

Super-G said:
The entire brake system needs to be replaced...needing new master cyl, new front rotors, new bearings, seals, calipers, and brake hoses....all new rear brakes including new drums, wheel cylinders, new shoes, and combi kits... about $500.00 worth of parts plus an entire weekend to do the job.

Take your time. $20 here, $30 there, and you've gotten enough parts to do the entire job.

Super-G said:
The old tires are dry rotted so I need 4 new tires plus I HATE the Centerline rims and they must GO. So I'm figuring about $600.00 for tires and another $5-600.00 for a set of Magnum 500's or if I can get lucky and score some used Torque Thrusts...so about $1000.00 to $1200.00 for tires and rims

Live with the Centerlines until you have the money to replace them. It's an aesthetics thing. The car can be driven with them on it.

Super-G said:
All totalled up I'm thinking that I need another $2500.00 to get my car on the road.

That total probably doesn't sound too bad to most people...but also figure in that in the past 3-4 months I bought the Challenger, I've already spent about $1500.00 on it in other parts, plus I spent $800.00 in the beginning of December on much needed tires and an alignment on my Suburban which is my daily driver. Then my wife and I spent about $1500.00 on Christmas for our 2 kids and our 2 families. Then 8 frigging days after Christmas the heater in my house took a crap and that was a $3200.00 bill. All the while I have been re-doing my family room which required new paint, new trim, new ceramic tile in the attached powder room, new carpet, and yesterday we spent about $3000.00 on new furniture.

All totalled up I've spent well over $10,000 in the last 3-4 months and the well is running dry.

I love my Challenger and I hate the thought of parting with it but I'm at the end of my rope and beginning to hear crap from my wife who for the past 15 years has been an avid supporter of my car hobby and has never once squawked about my cars or the money I've spent on them.

I'm just lost as to what is the right move.

And it's seems the above highlighted has nothing to do with the car, at all. Is the car just a reminder, as it sits there, that the well is running dry and you're keeping momma happy? (Priority number one in just about every marriage.) You want to do something for you? Sorry to be an amateur analyst, but I've been there over the course of the past decade.

My wife and I got married, we didn't have a lot. Living in three room apartments, treading water, so to speak. Sometimes blasting ourselves into overdraft so bad that it seemed like the hole was bottomless. All the while my cars just sat. And sat. And sat. Now we're in financial position to do something, but the dream of actually driving 'em and enjoying them started slipping away again as I get older.

We're a bunch of car guys, bud. We're pretty much going to advise you to hang on. But in the end it's your decision as to what you're going to do.

H-Pattern

Reaction score
Up grade a 340 to todays 5.0 standards and then will see whos clock gets cleaned.
Back in the day a stock 340 would clean a stock 5.0s clock with seconds to spare.

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
Motoring down the road, I don't give a newish 5.0 Mustang a second look, especially if stock. Now, different story for a stock 62' Nova, 72' Challenger, 64' Galaxie, 70' Javelin or equal. I guess I'm just old school and appreciate them more.

Super-G

Reaction score
HA HA for starters I didn't have a brand new 5.0 Mustang. I had an 86 GT with a worked 5.0. It had LOTS of work done to it and trust me it hauled a$$. It was a high 12 second car. Here it is..

Mustangparts048.jpg

I'm not sure how guys out there can think that a 340 or even a Hemi for that matter is any kind of a match for the new 5.0 Mustang?? As much as I love classic Muscle it's not even close. A new 5.0 Mustang runs 12's off the showroom floor. They're not my kind of car but the simple fact is that they run!

As nice and fast as my old 5.0 Mustang was, it still wasn't the kind of Musclecar I wanted. I was always a 60's and 70's Musclecar kind of guy. I've owned MANY of them over the years of all makes and models. Frankly I love them all from Mopars, to Mach 1 Mustangs to GTO's to SS Chevelles. I've already gone through the experience of a ground up resto on my 71 Chevelle SS years ago so I do know what's involved.

Here's the thing...when I bought the car I KNEW that it was sort of a project. I knew that it had been sitting for about 4-5 years and that it would have to be gone over for safety and reliability. The good news is that the floors, frame rails, trunk, and body are rust free and the paint job is really nice. So it is a great starting point.

I've already decided to put the 6 pack set up on a shelf and run a 4bbl for now. I've changed SO much already including new carpet, new fuel tank, new fuel pump, new water pump, new thermostat, all new belts and hoses, new tune up, new voltage regulator, new coil, 4 new shocks, and new exhaust. It just seems like every time I turn around something else pops up.

What I have left to do isn't really all that bad. I have a birthday in April and I've already asked for money from family members. I know I can sell the Centerlines and re-coup some of the wheel/tire money.

This weekend I'm going to go to my local NAPA and order new rear shoes, spring kit, and wheel cylinders. I'm going to try to get away with cutting the drums. Plans are to flush out all the old brake fluid and install a new master cylinder and all new calipers, pads and rotors up front as well.

I'll start there and see how I feel after that, but I'm hoping to get re-motivated to get this car running and on the road by May.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
That's the spirit and I guess I'll forgive you for posting up a pic of that white thing. LOL

Back