• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

installing headers/340 question........

Reaction score
Hello to all!! I am putting a 340 into my 4 speed Challenger and plan on putting headers on it but am wondering if the headers can be put on before the install or will there be room to slip them into place after the motor is in? I done this on an A-body once and remember there wasn't much room and the driver side had to go around the steering bar. Also, what type of linkage (a pic would be great) will I need for the clutch, I didn't get anything with it when I bought the car. And finally, what motor mounts will I need to convert from a 318 to a 340? Any help is greatly appreciated.:D

Challenger340

Reaction score
Depends on the Headers ?
but usually yes, the cheaper ones go around the steering linkage requiring the Center Link dis-assembly ?
You have NO Clutch Pedal Linkage at all ?
Bell crank(Z Bar), or anything else ?

Motor Mounts should be the same for the 340 as the 318.

Lemme know WHAT you need Pics of, I have a "stick" 340 Challenger.

71Challenger318

Reaction score
I had to take the motor mounts loose and jack the engine up to get my driver's side header in. Mine are 70's vintage NOS Mr. Gasket I got from a friend. They go around the linkage and the idler arm and pitman arm had to be taken loose. My passenger side rests against the T-bar on that side...I need to get that figured out.

Back