• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Installing Hotchkis Adjustable Strut Rods

Flchallenger

Reaction score
I want to swap out my strut rods to the solid adjustable strut rods. To get the old ones out would require loosening the lower ball joint and torision bars. Could I just cut the original strut pull it out and then just slide the new adjustable strut rod in without disconnecting the ball joint and torision bars? The adjustable strut is shorter than stock and doesn't go thru the k frame but has a bolt that does. Anybody ever install these when car is all together?

cuda joe

Reaction score
I had to remove the torision bars . after new strut rods are in you want to move the suspension up and down full travel no binding i think i unbolted the lower ball joints too .i went with 1.03 bars poly sway bar bushings and offset upper control arm bushings got 4 deg positive caster goes down the highway great and curved entrance ramps hold on

Flchallenger

Reaction score
I have the 1.03 torision bars poly bushings and offset upper control arm bushings. When I look at this it seems like I just need to cut the existing bar pull it out and slide this in. It is shorter than the original. The end is flat and goes agonist the rear of the k member. So you don't need as much room to get the new one in. I see your point about moving up and down but I could use a hydraluic jack to do that I am thinking.

cuda joe

Reaction score
you could use a jack to move it up but you won;t be able to tell if it;s binding i don;t think the new strut rod was shorter I;ll go out to the garage and look

cuda joe

Reaction score
the hotchkis rod is shorter if you don;t count the swivel part i did this a couple of years ago and am pretty sure i unbolted the ball joint but maybe not .i just remembered i used a large washer on the front side of the k member with out the washer the swivel part was loose let me know how you make out

cuda joe

Reaction score
remembering a little more i belive i unbolted the pivet point on the lower control arm and slid the a arm back a little to get the strut rod in it was some work but worth it the new strut rod keeps the lower control arm from moving back and forth sounds like you have the same set up as me what shocks do you have i got bilstien on the highway great' around town low speeds you feel every bump

Flchallenger

Reaction score
I have Bilstein's as well. I am going to try to get to this, this weekend. I will post a let you know how it goes. I talked to Hotkis and they said they thought it would work. Will see. I would be a lot easier than disconnecting everything.

cuda joe

Reaction score
yea if you can do it it will save alot of time good luck

Flchallenger

Reaction score
Yes it worked like charm. I just cut the old strut pulled it out and slip the hotchkis in. I had to trim the sway bar mount a little with a grinder. I have the bolt on sway bar bracket to the lower control arm. This maybe different on lower control arms with the bracket welded. Took a jack and put under the control arm and moved it up and down and seems to work fine. I put a car jack on the other side of the car to keep it stable while I did this. I didn;t want the car to tilt or slide with it up in the air on jack stands.

cuda joe

Reaction score
great I;m glad it worked. spring is coming can;t wait to get mine out of the garage

Flchallenger

Reaction score
I have a bolt on sway bar. You can see in the pic that the original bar was hitting the bracket. I ground this area back to make sure the news cleared. There were really easy to do like this.

Attachments

• 20220129_141500.jpg
    20220129_141500.jpg
    679.7 KB · Views: 144
Back