• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Interior Heater/Defrost Duct

dfrazz

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
My '71 Challenger is missing a part on the defrost duct under the dash that I am having a hard time finding. The best I can tell is that 2 parts are there already; from the defrost vents down and from the firewall out. The part that is missing is approx. 4-5" of duct that connects the two existing parts together. The ends of the existing duct are smooth so I don't think the missing part was cut or ripped out. Right now, when I drive the car a lot of hot air from the engine is blowing into the car and you are sweating in about 15-20 minutes. Any ideas for replacements or places to look would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Avalanche

Reaction score
I'm not too sure but I think the defrost duct sits on the heater box (nothing in between).

Maybe someone else will chime in.

Mike73Dodge

Reaction score
DSC_9028.jpgThis is what my 73 Challenger no AC looks like.

DSC_9028.jpg

burdar

Reaction score
That picture is correct for a NON A/C car. There is supposed to be an open area between the heater box and the duct. It looks like something is supposed to be there but there isn't.

burdar

Reaction score
Those valves are only used on A/C cars. We don't know what he has yet though. If it's an A/C car then that's a good place to look.

Has your heater box been rebuilt? If not, all the foam pieces on the doors have deteriorated...probably not even there any more. That will let hot air past the doors even if they are closed. Also, a place to look for excessive engine heat in the interior is the lower steering column shaft seal. If the seal is missing(probably deteriorated just like the heater box foams) that will let engine heat enter the steering column and heat up the interior.

dfrazz

Reaction score
Update, it is an a/c car and the heater control is not working. I found the correct defrost part and installed it. Next step is to fix/replace the heater control as there is still heat coming in. Thanks Burdar, I will also look for the seal and foam pieces.

dfrazz

Reaction score
I also need to look at the cable to the actual dash control as the heat lever is stuck.

Back