• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Is my car worth anything?

Cuda360

Reaction score
Now I'm not thinking anything exorbitant here, just more valuable than average. So I've got a 74 'Cuda 360 4 barrel, completely stock. I know it is not the most desirable year but stay with me. From what I was told, not able to personally confirm, that this car is one of five built in 74 in this color scheme (Triple Green) and it is heavily optioned, 2 fender tags. So does color and small options matter or is it only the earlier big engined ones that are 'valuable?'

Cranky

Reaction score
A 360 powered E body is kinda rare. Keep in mind that production was really low for 74 since they didn't produce a full year. Don't know the numbers but if you have a high optioned car with a 360 4 bbl, you have something that is pretty unusual but can't tell ya what it's worth without more info....

sheetmetaldan

Reaction score
I say yes it`s valuable

I`m no expert by any means but if your car is original has 2 tags heavilly optioned why wouldn`t it be valuable? Granted it not going to be as valuable as say a hemi. If you can confirm it`s 1 of 5 with that color scheme it would definatly add collectability to it. Out of the 5 maybe your is the only 1 left! I wouldn`t knock it "just" cause it`s a "74". Don`t believe all the hype that the 70-71`s get,awesome cars for sure but the 72`s to 74`s all have plenty to offer IMO.
Some collectors put down the later years lower compression,no hemi`s,oversized bumperetts, blah blah blah.That argument might be valid back in 72,73,74 when your buying it new off the showroom floor comparing them to the 70-71`s but not now.
Most of the cars that have survived are so far removed from being original it really shouldn`t matter.The ones that are still in original shape will have a premium over non-original or restored cars.

Oh yeah post some pics of your car and give us a list of the options it has I would love to see it!:D

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I would like to see some pics too, sounds like a sweet car and it would also help to try and put a value on it.

Cuda360

Reaction score
Here are some photos...

100_0076.jpg

100_0081.jpg

100_0083.jpg

sheetmetaldan

Reaction score
Wow it even came with the ultra rare 2 1/2 gallon driver side gas can!:smileinbox:

Seriously that is a nice clean looking survivor that anybody would be proud to own!

Now go fix your gas gauge! LOL!

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Very nice car! and am sorry but I would have no idea what it's worth. You just don't see to many `74's as comps.

burdar

Reaction score
It's impossible to know how many cars were built in a certain color. Some records are available for the 70 and 71 model years but even then, it's only a % number.

I think the Hemi cars are the exception. Most of the Hemi E-bodies are documented...so color/trans breakdowns are known.

360 4-speed cars are fairly rare. However, 72-74 cars are not considered collectable by the very serious collectors. That keeps the prices down to what the avarage musclecar fan is willing to pay.

72-74 cars that are restored to stock condition...with every nut/bolt refinished correctly...top out right around $30,000. The rarity of the 360 4-speed might add a little money but not a whole lot. A 360 auto wouldn't command a higher price I don't think.

Reaction score
In 74, they built 1,191 360 Cudas ---BS23L

32 were 3 sp. sticks
398 were 4 sp. sticks
761 were autos.

Also (even rarer) they made 125 360 Barracudas BH23L

5 with 3 sp stick
40 with 4 sd
85 with auto

Really nice and rare car you have there.

bluefury361

Reaction score
Value.....

Based on the rarity and nicely equipped options, unusual color combo, originality and condition of your car, (judged as very nice form your pictures) I would put a market value of from $15000.00 to $20,000.00 on the car.

The E-body guys will love it and it will appeal to the folks looking for a great weekend show/cruiser who can't or won't step up to the high price demanded by the big block cars.

3404speed

Reaction score
mine isn't as nice as yours, but all the 74's should have good value. Last year built, even if it is the 360.

2011-06-20_20-42-45_281.jpg

mine was built 9 days after yours, 2/13/74...with very similar options.

burdar

Reaction score
mine was built 9 days after yours, 2/13/74

That's just the SPD.(scheduled production date) That is the day the factory planned on building the car. Rarely was a car accually built on the SPD.

In late 72, the factory changed the VIN sticker on the door. They added a MDH code to the lower left corner of the sticker. MDH stands for month/date/hour. Since the VIN sticker was placed on the car twards the end of the production line, that is more then likely the day the car was built.

For example, the SPD of my car says 927(Sept 27th) The door sticker says 10/72. The MDH code has a typo on it. It reads 121218 but should read 101218. (October 12th) So my car was built 15 days late.

bad440

Reaction score
I have a 1974 Challenger(original owner) yellow with a 360 automatic also. These are the last of the breed and probably worth somewhat more than the 1972-73 models, more rare as well as more powerful engine.
I noticed your Cuda has the wrong auto shifter though should be a T handle.

Cuda360

Reaction score
Wrong shifter? hmmm, I may have to look into that... This is the great thing about forums, there's tons of information that I would have never known.
Thanks for all the responses.

Cranky

Reaction score
Yup, I just looked at that too. The round knob was a 70 deal only and the shifter is different where the knob fits too so you can't just install the T on the 70 shifter stalk.

Back