• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Is this a frost plug 727 tranny?

Cudash

Reaction score
I have a leak in my 727 tranny on the back side just above the pan seal. This picture shows where the fluid is leaking from. Can anyone tell me what this plug is and how do I fix the leak? Thanks.

C016CDA8-D993-4FB3-A1B8-8D9EC2BBA756.jpeg

DetMatt1

Reaction score
That is the end of a pivot shaft and if you don’t feel like pulling the trans you might be able to drain the fluid to the point where it stops seeping, thoroughly clean the area and use some of that good Mopar black rtv and goop it up at that point. This is an obvious bandaid but it might seal it for a few seasons.

Reaction score
There is an "o" ring around the pivot shaft that's gone. The Trans doesn't have to come out but the pan, valve body, driveshaft, Trans mount and extension housing have to be removed, and the rear band adjustment loosened off.
A Trans shop is an option if you're not comfortable doing it your self.
There is a later pivot shaft that uses 2 "0" rings, a good mopar Trans shop should be able to supply you with one, later 70's 727's had them I believe

rt63

Reaction score
I just fixed this problem last spring.One of the 2 O-rings was missing and the other was worn out.I was able to replace it by cutting off a piece of the tab that stops the shaft from popping out.And fabricating a small bracket, that attached to the bolt that is in your picture.It saved me from pulling the drive shaft and trans.It took about 2 hours,i can send a picture if you want one.I tried the black rtv fix first,with bad results.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
When I pulled the trans out of my car for the rebuild it had rtv in this location and it wasn’t leaking.

Cudash

Reaction score
I just fixed this problem last spring.One of the 2 O-rings was missing and the other was worn out.I was able to replace it by cutting off a piece of the tab that stops the shaft from popping out.And fabricating a small bracket, that attached to the bolt that is in your picture.It saved me from pulling the drive shaft and trans.It took about 2 hours,i can send a picture if you want one.I tried the black rtv fix first,with bad results.
Yes, please send me a pic when you have a chance. Thanks!

aussiemark

Reaction score
When I pulled the trans out of my car for the rebuild it had rtv in this location and it wasn’t leaking.
It all comes down to the prep if you clean it real well and keep it clean until the sealant dries. I usually use brake parts cleaner and a airline to clean it, spray the brake cleaner on then blow it with the airline then repeat until the oil stops coming out. Brake parts cleaner is great because it dries clean with no reside at all so it leaves a good surface for sealant to bond to.

AUSTA

Reaction score
It all comes down to the prep if you clean it real well and keep it clean until the sealant dries. I usually use brake parts cleaner and a airline to clean it, spray the brake cleaner on then blow it with the airline then repeat until the oil stops coming out. Brake parts cleaner is great because it dries clean with no reside at all so it leaves a good surface for sealant to bond to.
Mark are you going to the Mopar meet in Malaga on Saturday 18th

AUSTA

Reaction score
As 704406 described you can push the shaft back enough to change the orings then push back & reassemble
If doing yourself get a new extension housing gasket as normally they will breakup .
Place the trans in park before lifting the car it makes it easier to get the park rod back past the pawl lever
also remove the speedo gear & undo the 2 screws on the plate under the rear mount to access the circlip it must be opened to remove the extension housing.
As you can see in the pic the orings are close to the end of the shaft.
Rear Pin.jpg

Back