• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

J heads on a 76 318 in a 72 Barracuda?

shadango

Reaction score
Well, a neighbor into E bodies came up and was checking out my project car ...72 Barracuda.

I was told it had a 74 318 in it.....Well, my neighbor ID'd the heads as "J" heads (He pointed out the "J" on them) and said he thought I might actually have a 360......so , now that he got my curiosity going I crawled under and checked out the casting numbers.

On the drivers side, --- 4006730-318-15
On the right side ---- D N<---- 4 - 28 - 76

So its a 76 block, 318.....with J heads.

I have already installed an ECU for a 72-74 318 and a new 72 wiring harness.

SO, the questions are endless now.....but to start

---- Will the 72-74 ECU I have now work OK?

---- Will the J heads mean anything in my application?

---- Tranny wise, can I still use a 727 or 904 from a 72-74 Barracuda?

I looked up the ECU for the 76 engine (in a duster) and its a different part number.....

Please tell me this is gonna be ok....

:banghead:

shadango

Reaction score
Now, not really even sure they are "J" heads.....can you tell from the outside?

The drivers side has what looks like a "J" on it, between the front two plugs.....

The rightsaid has the mark but its a backwards J.....

SO I am skeptical I guess....

burntorange70

Reaction score
Yes they are J heads all right. But they made a bunch of J heads that were all a little different through the years. Only way to know for sure what kind of J's they are is to pull the heads and look for the casting and or part #. The only real differences would be the intake valve size and head CC. People use J heads on 318 all the time. There good heads.

shadango

Reaction score
Folks on the A-body forum are saying that I will have low(er) compression due to the heads....

But I just cant help but wonder why someone would put these heads on the motor to begin with if it is a detriment....

I am not worried about it.....gonna wait till I get the tranny and everything else bolted on and fire it up (hopefully the first time) and see what gives.

I did make progress this weekend with the new engine harness and got the ignition stuff done.

Still need a starter, alternator, radiator, fan and tranny/driveshaft/crossmember.....

SLowly but surely...LOL

Back