• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Barracuda - 318 Small Block, Won't idle,

cogaussie

Reaction score
I was starting my 72 Barracuda 318 from cold, when I heard a bit of rattling (like a spring came loose) Then I noticed it was running very rough and would not idle.

I pulled all the spark plugs and noticed one of them is rather damaged...

Photos attached.

cuda.jpg

cuda1.jpg

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Something must have been dropped into the carb & Got past the valve into the engine , you can use a boroscope to look inside but I suggest you need to pull the head off

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Last edited:

Xcudame

Reaction score
I agree, time to take the head off and see what happened. You might be looking at complete rebuild depending on damage.

Xcudame

Reaction score
And that piston has a couple big cracks. Probably being held together by the rings and cylinder block. Is this the numbers matching 318? If so, I'd rebuild it - keep the Barracuda original. Just make sure the cylinder head and block are checked for cracks. If it's not the original 318, I'd spend my money on a 360. 360 long blocks are still easy to find. Or get a short block and run aluminium heads. All depends on your budget.

JKCuda

Reaction score
And that piston has a couple big cracks. Probably being held together by the rings and cylinder block. Is this the numbers matching 318? If so, I'd rebuild it - keep the Barracuda original. Just make sure the cylinder head and block are checked for cracks. If it's not the original 318, I'd spend my money on a 360. 360 long blocks are still easy to find. Or get a short block and run aluminium heads. All depends on your budget.
This. Just put a 360 (stroked to 408) in my 318 non-numbers car. Full SCAT setup, custom solid roller cam, mild intake and head porting, roller rockers, upgrading valves/springs... I think I paid 7k to have the whole motor built with the cost of the 360.

Back