• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Just a place to document small changes to my 70 Challenger R/T

YJ_Aaron

Reaction score
So I pulled the engine to do the cam swap and look it over. I wanted to ditch the headers and go back to the stock manifolds that came with the car. In doing so I found out I have a numbers matching engine to the car. Now I'm at a cross road. Do I continue to modify the car to fit my needs, buy a non-numbers engine to drive and enjoy to not risk the numbers engine, or do I put the engine back in like it was and sell the car?

I've always wanted an E-body but cuda was the first choice. I'm curious if now I could swap this for a non-numbers cuda etc. Thoughts from the crowd?

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Well that sucks to have run of bad luck like that! Since the motor is out do a leak down test on the cylinders and drop oil pan and inspect crank shaft end play. change cam and go from there.

YJ_Aaron

Reaction score
Sorry didn't mean to make it sound like a negative, it's a very cool thing. I just am debating my plans moving forward.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
No I'm just razzing you. if it checks out for the good I would clean up and put back in. BIG QUESTION now is can you get the parts? Good parts!

YJ_Aaron

Reaction score
I have a full cam, lifter, spring, and timing set sitting there from Comp. Boxes of gaskets etc. It had good even compression on all cylinders, just didn't make sufficient vacuum to run power brakes. I think i looked it up and it had a "big mutha thumpr" or something cam.

YJ_Aaron

Reaction score
Car is coming together. Had a professional assemble the long block, just finished install and cam break in tonight. Hopefully back on the road soon.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Was the engine assembler aware of the cam you are using.checking valve clearance! Or the just put it together.

YJ_Aaron

Reaction score
Yes he was aware and even had me order some different components to ensure running clearances.

Back