• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Kevko M301 oil pan fitment???

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
I am interested in using this pan on my 340 and its only 1 qt more than stock. I installed a milodon 8 qt pan in 1 of my a body cars and had to notch the k member for fitment but I don't want to do that to my Challenger. Of course, the E and A body cars have different k members but Wonder if anyone has used the kevko pan and had fitment issues.
I use the m72hv pump with the black spring to assure oil pressure is there for my lead foot and want to keep enough oil in there for those times when I want to jam the pedal to the metal.
This isn't a race car. Mild build, .040 with 10.2 comp, 2.02 j heads, lunati 703 cam and 1.5 rockers.
I just don't feel comfortable with the stock pan.
Any replies would be helpful, as I want to order asap.
Thanks,
Scott

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I don't have experience with the Kevco Pan fitment .
I would caution using the Melling HV oil pump , on a long pull it can empty the oil pan with a street build I would recommend the Melling HP pump instead .

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
I would caution using the Melling HV oil pump , on a long pull it can empty the oil pan with a street build I would recommend the Melling HP pump instead .
The seller said it fits with no issues so I bought 1. Guess I will find out.
I don't plan on holding the pedal flat out on the highway but thanks for the input on the oil pump.
The hv with the black spring seems to run 50psi at idle and will go 70-75psi when whaling the throttle. I never really look down at the gauge when doing that but its a good point of info.
Do you run the hp pump? Also what kinda psi does that do at idle etc? I like to see good psi at idle etc and higher rpms. 35 at idle makes me think bearings are going out and then uncomfortable.
I always like input from others that have the knowledge.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I always run the Melling HP pumps , depending on brg clearance when the engine is machined I have seen 120 Psi cold & 75 warm at idle . if the brg clearance is wider it can be 80 cold 50 hot .
lots of variables depend in type & weight of oil used .
I have seen engines idle at 5-10 psi but as long as the pressure jumps as soon as the RPM increases it will live, 35 at idle is fine !

70chall440

Reaction score
I don't know about the 301 specifically but I have a road racing pan from them on my 73 Cuda and it is well built and works great.

Old Mopar

Reaction score
No, the suck the pan dry is an old wives tale
Kevko pan is nice, fits well.
both comments are from - Real Experience -not an opinion.

70Hardtop

Reaction score
No, the suck the pan dry is an old wives tale
Kevko pan is nice, fits well.
both comments are from - Real Experience -not an opinion.
I am interested in hearing more from you and your experiences about this. I have heard a few times that an HV pump should always be used with a higher capacity pan, as they do suck out more oil at extended higher RPM use. And as the oil in the top takes time to get back to the pan, there is the possibility of there not being enough oil in the pan to supply the pump (at times). Can you clarify why that is a myth? If it was not true, then why didn't Chrysler use a HV pumo in the 340 which was designed with racing in mind and for high RPM? All they did was fit a 'revised' standard volume oil pump, which used a different spring to increase the pressure.

I am interested in this because I am building a 340 now and am thinking about the oil pump; doing the ARP clearancing for the main stud under the pump etc etc. And want to use a stock pan.

Thanks

Old Mopar

Reaction score
I played road race with 340's 360's,416's &440's
Lot's of rpm runs!! Never an out of oil event even with a stock pan on a 340+6
20-60lbs of oil pressure
Never ran out of oil in the pan but found that when the oil pressure dropped in the turns it would loose oil at the push rod cups first. That was from lack of baffling in the pan not no oil in the pan. Went back to the track with a baffled stock pan and the problem was gone.

Trigger'06

Reaction score
I have been running an MP HV pump for 20 years on an MP 360 shortblock with a stock pan. It has been driven enthusiastically on occasion. On one or two high speed Hwy blasts I caught a lowering of oil pressure after a bit. Slowing down a bit helped. Aeration of the oil? Rpm's in the high 3000's.
I'm going with a standard volume pump and the very competent looking Kevko 301 pan for my 418.

Back