• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Key stuck

fk5aar

Reaction score
Put the wrong key in my 70 cuda….what’s the easiest way to get it out????

1972 AAR Cuda

Reaction score
Curious what you mean by the wrong key? I would expect any Chrysler key of the same era to "fit" (goes in the lock), but it should come out just as easily as going in...

The "wrong" key may require a little more force to remove... (???)
How much force was used to install the key?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
There is a tab along the bottom that activates the buzzer , if you can slide a thin piece of steel under the key & depress the tab the key will remove , you could trim a piece from a can lid to slide in there .
Extra force can break the key inside Do not do that !

pschlosser

Reaction score
a sticky tumbler may cause this. one or more tumblers actuated and pushed further than usual when using a different key can cause it to stick, thereby jamming the key.

as stated above, all the Chrysler keys of this era would normally slide in and out. If it’s a different model key, and it’s jammed because the grooves don’t line up, it may take more force to remove it.

You may need to use pliers. Limit your plier-applied force to pulling the key straight out, never back and forth. you don’t want to risk breaking the key off.

Begin presuming it’s a sticky tumbler. use your hands and jiggle it a lot. the more the better. especially in the direction of the tumblers. heating the key with a lighter can help too. jiggle the blank out of it, then periodically, apply the pulling force.

if that fails, move on to the pliers pulling the key straight out. you may have to pull pretty hard.

the absolute worst-case scenario is breaking the key off with part of it still inserted. Then lesser bad result is the key removes, but one of the tumblers is damaged preventing the correct key from working. in either case, a locksmith and considerable labor may be needed to repair.

if you get the key out, and the issue is a sticky tumbler, squirting some graphite powder in there, and working the correct key in and out several times, may set things right, again.

fk5aar

Reaction score
Curious what you mean by the wrong key? I would expect any Chrysler key of the same era to "fit" (goes in the lock), but it should come out just as easily as going in...

The "wrong" key may require a little more force to remove... (???)
How much force was used to install the key?
I think I put key from 70 challenger in there now it doesn’t want to come out…..I’m thinking a little wd40 in the hole might help

1972 AAR Cuda

Reaction score
Obviously specifics on the situation can change the outcome (as well as location - door, trunk, ignition, and specific key sets for each year can change) but I thought the basic key grooves remained consistent for all years on e-bodies.
I don't want to make situation worse, but I have had keys stick for different reasons. 70's Cudas and Challengers should interchange and shouldnt stick, but using gentle force pulling straight out has worked for me in the past.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
At one time I had all my 6 cars I drove keyed the same' so wouldn't have that problem. Houses and garages too.

Katfish

Reaction score
Last time I took car for alignment, the bozo put the key in upside down, and it stuck. They yanked for 5min and then I told them to get out of the way. They wanted to break it off and call a locksmith. I said no F’in way. I had to gently wiggle it around and it finally came out.
So moral of story, be patient

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
If you follow Schlossers advice you will make it worse .
I have been a locksmith for 40 + years . follow what I told you & it will come out without damage .
Graphite is always the best lube for locks of any kind .

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Been there done that and for others. Get a pair of pliers. Takes a lot grip.Pull straight out and push in a little to feel if it will move maybe turn cylinder a little with very little wiggle and a little lube to undo what was done. worse case you might have to disable to remove.

20200521_160057.1.jpg

Last edited:
Back