• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Lazy tachometer

dadeo1852

Reaction score
So this year my 70 Challenger's factory tach decided to get lazy, in other words it works but is really slow to respond to revving if it even responds at all. Sometimes it hangs around 1000rpm no matter what and sometimes it climbs but way behind actual rpm and after 5 miles of driving it starts behaving normal and is ok. Anybody experience the same or have thoughts on what the problem could be?

Adam

Reaction score
Yes, it is old and crappy. They were not very accurate even when new. Here is an easy, do it yourself, upgrade: RTE 67-74 Tach kit - rte

Edit; since you are going to pull the cluster might as well perform these upgrades at the same time, instrument voltage: RTE limiter - rte

I have done a few of these; Not too expensive and can be done in an afternoon. Read the Mopar Action articles that RTE provides in their links.

and: Quartz Conversion Clock Repair Kit R-3035 - Whitegauges.net

And bypass the ammeter (fire hazard) also: Catalog

These are all easy to do.

Last edited:

dadeo1852

Reaction score
The clock has been converted and the limiter has been installed so, yeah, I'm aware of RTE tach kit, thanks. Another small project lurking I guess, so be it.

Adam

Reaction score
Excellent... most of us have performed these upgrades, but I like to provide links for the others that will read this thread.

quapman

Reaction score
There was another company making the voltage regulator cheaper, but I can't seem to locate it now.

Back