• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

leaking water pump bolt

piantm

Reaction score
shaking out issues on a fresh rebuild of the 70 340. Water pump bolt is leaking, passenger side. Any ideas how to stop it.

piantm

Reaction score
thanks for the tip. That didn't work either. Felt the bolt never was tightening properly, and found damaged threads on the bolt. As if something was cutting into it. Pulled everything off the front of the block, found the bolt holes in the block are damaged. I'm able to wiggle a 5/16"-18 tap through the hole without turning it. Now I gotta try my luck at putting a heli-coil in. Never did that before. Any tips

piantm

Reaction score
thanks for responses. Gotta hope the helicoil holds. Installed it yesterday. Had I seen Chryco Psycho response before I did the job, I may have used the Timesert. Looks like a good product. Maybe the next I get the pleasure of doing this job, I'll choose the Timesert.

piantm

Reaction score
OK, fix the thread issue with the helicoil. Now having trouble with oil pan to timing chain cover gasket staying in place. Numerous attempts ending with frustration and failure. The rubber seal is being pulled into the the oil pan as I tighten the bolts. Last attempt, I carefully tighten all the bolts gradually, the gasket held it's place. I then was putting the final turn on the bolts and suddenly the gasket sucked in on the drivers side. This has been my problem five times now. I'm doing something wrong. Don't know what. Any help out there?

piantm

Reaction score
got it fixed. Found out today, that I should install the front seal dry. Sealant on the ends where it meets the oil pan gasket and timing cover. I was using silicon sealant on both sides of the gasket along it's entire length. Plus I don't think I had the rubber nipple pulled all the way through the hole either. Now I hope it doesn't leak when I get it running in a couple days. Thanks for the help

Back