• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

LED head light conversion

Cratos

Reaction score
looking for input on converting to LED head lights. witch ones have a good beam pattern, that doesn't blind oncoming cars. and if you know amp draw VS stock headlight.
thank for your help guys.

bc3j

Reaction score
I use seal beams with relays, but from what I’ve read, reflector units are not good with LEDs. Projector units are preferred. I’ve tried two separate reflector units and with both could not align the LEDs. My LED bulb measured exactly the same distance from the LED diodes to the H4/9003 filaments. So in theory the light should be equally dispersed in the housing. My LEDs diodes are located at 9 and 3 o’clock. I use the seal beams simply because there are no LEDs approved for use in the headlights in the US. They are a modification from factory and not approved per FMVHSS 108. However, their widely in use. Most vendors do post “For off-road use.” Just nearly impossible to aim with reflector units and caused, for me, an irregular cut-off pattern with scattered light. I have projector units, but going to use my seal beams with the relays for now because the lighting isn’t all that bad. Good luck with your project. There are several sites with excellent info on the LED light pattern angles and how they react when hitting the inside of the reflector units.

My stock seal beams (low beam) are 2.73 amps each (35W). H4/9003 are 4.29 amps each (55W). The LEDs are 1.95 amps each (25W). Definitely an advantage with LEDs.

Others here are using them so there’s a lot of useful information.

Last edited:

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
I changed out my GE halogen sealed-beams for Hella 7" H4 headlamp housings and AUXITO H4 9003 LED bulbs. They are 6500K which is very white. Most people prefer 3000K for a slightly more yellow look. The only issue was the rubber boots on the Hella housing need to be cut/trimmed to fit the bulb properly. It is also highly recommended that you install ceramic harness sockets to prevent the LED bulb from melting your factory plastic sockets. The LED amp draw is so low as to not need auxiliary relays or additional wiring.

Another option is the new Holley RetroBright LED headlights. Very pricey but they are an easy install.

Hella H4 Label.jpg
H4 9003 LED Headlight Bulbs 12000lm 6500K Xenon High and Low Beam.jpg
Ceramic Headlight Wiring Harness Sockets.jpg

BWBX7882.JPG

H4 Headlights (1).JPG

Sinitro

Reaction score
The Holley retro-brites are pricey but well worth it..
I installed (4) in my 70 RR.
They bolt right in and work great...

Just my $0.02...

Holley_LEDs.jpg

Sinitro

Reaction score
U can find them for less $$, if U do a search. But yeah needing (4) does drive up the $$.
The lites are sourced from Mirimoto, and built well. What I like is their cast heat sink design which is shallow and allows the lite to be mounted in a stock bucket without any cutting.

Just my $0.02...

Sinitro

Reaction score
Sorry, no pics for down the road.
But since I have (4) I wired them in parallel so I have (4) low beams or (4) hi beams). They lite way down the road just fine, but a big plus now is their light dispersion output is much wider than the standard OE incandescent bulbs as well so now the road shoulders are well lit. I checked out several other LEDs but each one required cutting out the bucket due to their deeper depth. The Holley LEDs are shallow but are designed with an effective aluminum heat sink built-in.

Just my $0.02...

JKCuda

Reaction score
Sorry, no pics for down the road.
But since I have (4) I wired them in parallel so I have (4) low beams or (4) hi beams). They lite way down the road just fine, but a big plus now is their light dispersion output is much wider than the standard OE incandescent bulbs as well so now the road shoulders are well lit. I checked out several other LEDs but each one required cutting out the bucket due to their deeper depth. The Holley LEDs are shallow but are designed with an effective aluminum heat sink built-in.

Just my $0.02...
Ok cool. Thanks for the feedback!

Back