• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Looking at a 74 challenger

Nitrohog

Reaction score
I've lusted over E body mopars for my entire life and finally, one has crossed my path that might be within reach. It's a 74 challenger 360 4 speed car with 42k original miles. It's currently unrestored but it does have a newer paint job. I looked at it today and it needs a lot of cleanup but seems to be a really sold car with virtually zero rust. Is there anything in particular that I should look for before making an offer? What is the going rate for a car in this condition?

IMAG0148.jpg

IMAG0149.jpg

IMAG0150.jpg

rklein71

Reaction score
I would check the numbers on the engine block and transmission to see if they are original to the car. Having a build sheet and fender tag are a big plus as well.

Nitrohog

Reaction score
I will double check but I'm 99% positive that it's all original drivetrain. The current owner is my wife's uncle who bought the car from the original owner in in 76. I don't think he has a build sheet though.

rklein71

Reaction score
There are several places a build sheet could be found. Under the carpet, in seat springs, tucked up above the glove box to name a few.

Nitrohog

Reaction score
I'll look around the next time I'm in the area. It is a 360 4bbl, Hurst pistol grip 4 speed with an 8.75" rear. It also has the rallye stripes on it.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Value Information from Hagerty
1974 Dodge Challenger Info
  • 2dr Hardtop Coupe 8-cyl. 360cid/245hp 4bbl Hi-Perf

• Engine Types
  • 8-cyl. 318cid/150hp 2bbl
  • 8-cyl. 360cid/245hp 4bbl Hi-Perf

• Additional Info
  • Curb Weight: 3225 lbs.
  • Vehicle Length: 198.2 in.
  • Wheel Base: 110 in.
1974 Dodge Challenger 2dr Hardtop Coupe Info
  • Number Produced
$19,900 Avg. Value*

1974 Dodge Challenger Values | Hagerty Valuation Tool®
Cars in good to excellent range from 19K to 28K
Hope this helps.
Dino2 (1).gif

And by the way, that is a really nice looking car. Good luck with what you choose to do.

Last edited:

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Looks pretty decent in the pics. Does it have a rallye instrument cluster?
Welcome to the site from the Motor City!

Nitrohog

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys, and after a brief Google search, yes it does have the rallye instrument cluster. Unfortunately the clock seems to have stopped working though.

IMAG0153.jpg

IMAG0152.jpg

quapman

Reaction score
LOL...the clock stopped after 40 years? No way.

Seriously, a 74 360 4-speed car is super rare and if the price is under $15k I'd jump on it.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Just do the best you can to make sure that the body really isn't hiding anything under that repaint.

rklein71

Reaction score
LOL...the clock stopped after 40 years? No way.

Seriously, a 74 360 4-speed car is super rare and if the price is under $15k I'd jump on it.

A quartz clock upgrade is pretty easy to do yourself and is around a hundred bucks. Did it in my 71 Barracuda project.

Rolling Barracuda.jpg

Litchkar

Reaction score
The engine compartment has been painted black. That means most likely the engine has been out of the car. I would verify that it is numbers matching, but it does look like a nice car either way.

Nitrohog

Reaction score
I got a call from the owner tonight saying that he has decided for sure that he is ready to sell. Weather permitting We'll go for a test drive and hash out the details this weekend. I think it would make a great driver that I wouldn't be afraid to throw a few miles on and it should depreciate a whole lot less than the 2016 Challenger R/T that I was looking at.

seneca

Reaction score
Looks like a solid car from the pictures. Still has the 5 MPH bumpers which are usually the first things to go on 73 & 74! You didn't mention a price but if it fits the budget then go for it. Good luck and welcome to E Body land!!!!

Nitrohog

Reaction score
The 5mph bumpers will be the first thing to go if I buy it haha. As far as money goes, I'm hoping to get it for around $14k or so plus visitation rights haha.

seneca

Reaction score
The 5mph bumpers will be the first thing to go if I buy it haha. As far as money goes, I'm hoping to get it for around $14k or so plus visitation rights haha.

Sounds like a fair price. One thing for sure; it won't get any cheaper and you'll wear out the seat of your pants kicking yourself in the butt for letting it get away. Life's short Nitrohog; enjoy it while you can!!!

Nitrohog

Reaction score
Well, we struck a deal and the car is in my garage now. What was thought to be paint under the hood is actually undercoating and the engine has never been out of the car. Apparently it was rust proofed at ziebart back in 76 and they really went to town with the undercoat gun. It runs and drives well but there are a few little things to repair, so I hope that you guys are ready for a plethora of questions in the near future haha! Thank you for all of your help guiding me in making a reasonably informed purchase.

quapman

Reaction score
More pics, then we'll answer questions. LOL!

Nitrohog

Reaction score
Deal, hopefully I'll have a chance to do some cleaning today and go for a drive. I'll snap some pics in the process.

Back