• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Manifold heat shields

Dutch 165

Reaction score
Will a manifold heat shield from a 383/440 fit a 340. I know they are made of thin metal but don't know if they could be modified to fit.

Dutch 165

Reaction score
I am refering to the thin formed metal part that attaches to the left exhaust manifold which has a metal flex hose that attaches to the air cleaner. I don't know the proper name for the part. Heat Shield.jpg

Heat Shield.jpg

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
no , totally different shape , the 440 has the plugs blow & sits high up , the 340 has the plugs above & sits out at an angle , you could prbably build a reasonable piece out of sheet metal

Dutch 165

Reaction score
Trying to do an 85% restro, I used to throw them away when I was younger, the first thing that went along with the aircleaner. Now I have a H code 71 triple black Challenger I'm collecting parts for to put back factory. Thanks for the help.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Well the next question is did the HP 340 have a heat stove at all , I know they repop the heat shield to protect the plug wires on the right side ?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Well the left manifold is a highrise & I do not recall a heat sove on that side , the right is a drop Y manifold & I don't recall a stove on there either , the 68 -71 340 had an open dual inlet Air cleaner to , the 72 340 had a single snorkle but with a vacuum trap door at the rear to allow more air flow , I remember the AC clearly but I forget exactly which years had the trap door AC

burntorange70

Reaction score
Well the next question is did the HP 340 have a heat stove at all , I know they repop the heat shield to protect the plug wires on the right side ?

Yes, they repop the driver side heat shield. It is built in to the exhaust manifold gasket. They want big bucks for it.

Cant say I have ever seen a 340 with a heat stove on it. They do have a heat cross over built in to the heads/intake. 440's did not have that so they put a heat stove on them maybe?

Not sure but I think 340's also had some thing on the driver side manifold that would close the exhaust and hold in some heat too?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
only the Hemi had no heat cross over in the heads but it still had forced heat in from the rear .
All , A , LA , B & RB engines have heat crossovers in the heads . Later 340 manifolds have the heat riser valve in the manifold , don't believe the 68-71 do though

burntorange70

Reaction score
Sorry. I thought 440's had a raised intake with an airgap under them so there was no way for head heat to pass through the intake?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
They have the air gap too & often had insulation wrapping in foil between the intake & valley pan but they still have the heat port under the intake

burdar

Reaction score
I just looked at some T/A engine pics. I don't think they used different manifolds did they? Anyway, there is not a heat stove on the DS manifold.

Dutch 165

Reaction score
Looks like I'll have to look for another air cleaner, it turns out I have one from a 72 Challenger 340. The air cleaner I need has no snorkle, just 2 openings on the front as shown in picture. The reason I thought there was a hot air hookup is the two hole provision tabs at the bottom of the left manifold. According to the casting numbers these are the correct manifolds for my 71 Challenger, the dates are a little off but no big deal. Thanks for all the help, its always good to have others to run things by to see if I'm on the right track.$T2eC16h,!)QE9s3HG-uEBRPT2JLwPg~~60_57.jpg$T2eC16h,!)EE9s2ui)!4BRPT2CuIMQ~~60_57.jpg71 Left Exhaust Manifold.jpg

$T2eC16h,!)QE9s3HG-uEBRPT2JLwPg~~60_57.jpg

$T2eC16h,!)EE9s2ui)!4BRPT2CuIMQ~~60_57.jpg

71 Left Exhaust Manifold.jpg

burntorange70

Reaction score
They used a different manifold on one side for 71 due to smog BS. Must of had the tabs built on but they did not use them. Would think it for sure did not if it has a non snorkel air filter.

Good luck on your build. Let us know how it turns out.

Back