• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Undercoating Removal Advice

Weldguy

Reaction score
I'm ready for the next big step in getting my 1970 Challenger back on the road. I will be welding rear subframe caps because of frame rot and welding frame connectors from US Car Tool that are cut to fit the underbody profile. This will require the removal of both factory undercoating and some rattle can rubberized that I sprayed on in 1982. The metal, of course, must be as clean as possible for welding.

Initially, I thought some paint stripper would work. However, most YouTube videos I've looked at use some source of heat - either a torch or heat gun. What have you found that works the best?

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
By happenstance I had mine up about 18"-2'. And was scaping, Wait trying to scrape the under coating off, Not going to good. As I laid on the floor and took a breath. I glanced to the side and the 55k btu torpedo heater caught my eye.
Had a 6" elbow and stuck it in. Slid it under and in seconds the undercoating fell off. So I would move every second or two, so the undercoating would not fall into the elbow. What didn't fall off would only have to touch with a scraper.
Under the factory under coating was kind of bright metal with stains of undercoating. So I did a light sand blasting to clean up.
All the interior was out
A second person would make it easer, turning the heater on and off.
My intention was to clean up a little, inspect and preserve.
I got a little carried away. In for a penny in for a pound.
1713838683328.jpeg

Steve340

Reaction score
I saw a guy on You Tube removing it with one of those scale remover/needle pin pneumatic gun things.
It looked like it was easy and did a good job.

Daves69

Reaction score
I might try something such as this in my variable speed reciprocating saw if I were doing it again....................
1713878115769.png

larry4406

Reaction score
I used a pneumatic scraping tool from Harbor Freight when I had it on rotisserie. Worked well. Wear ear protection.

PLUM_72

Reaction score
I used a variety of tools. For larger flat sections I used an oscillating saw with a scraper blade. I bought a cheap one to do this. A drill with a variety of different wire brushes works too. Then also razor blades, putty knives, etc. I heard yellow easy off oven cleaner works. It didn’t do much for me but make a mess.

mayhem

Reaction score
Check out my YouTube Video.

Holly crap, your video triggered PTSD from my enlisted years in the Navy chipping superstructure paint and non-skid decking. Seriously, if I had to do an underside, the needle gun would be a strong first consideration. Thanks for posting.

Back