• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

manual brakes vs power brakes

vanman03

Reaction score
I would like to understand the Pros and Cons to a manual brakes vs power brakes setup. I have 1974 challenger with stock power brakes now but I am currently have issue with building vacuum.( 340 with a 518 lift cam) I want brakes that respond quickly to the horsepower am running now. Would switching to Manual brakes be better? I am thinking about going to a full disk brake setup from wilwood like the one below in the link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WILWOOD-DIS...dge|Model:Charger&hash=item43b1e50aae&vxp=mtr

michael

Reaction score
My 71 challenger came with manual drums. Installed ssbc discs on front first.it takes a strong leg but it stops wonderfully. Did the rears later mostly for looks.

vanman03

Reaction score
@moparleo and Michael thanks for your input!! I am looking to go in more of a pro-touring direction with the car and I need to stop! lol the breaks a scary at best!! I think my mom mini van stops better! lol what are the Pros and cons to a hydro-boost setup ?

moparleo

Reaction score
All pros. These are used mainly in trucks and HD vans. These vehicles really need dependable, heavy duty brakes. Brake pedal is always the same. No loss of pedal regardless of engine vacuum. Only con really is the higher initial cost but really you are just getting more for your money.

aussiemark

Reaction score
Usually manual brakes are only used with drum brakes because most drum brakes are self energizing, disc brakes get rid of heat better but are not self energizing so a booster is needed.

bc3j

Reaction score
I use manual disc front/drum rear. One can experiment with master cylinder bore size to get the feel that would be comfortable for you. Pedal pressure isn't excessive with the right MC bore.

Back