• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Missing Fender Tag...Now what do I do.

heminut

Reaction score
Most of the people who look at the tag have no idea what they are looking at IMO they are just looking for a tag bc they know there should be one there. I've heard people say crazy things while looking at a tag at a show.
I've heard a LOT of goofy stuff said at car shows. My favorite has always been the guy who knows it all when it comes to Mopars and goes on about stuff like "Yeah, back in the day I used to have a 440 Hemi with a 6 Pack setup and factory headers, nobody could beat that car!" and other B.S. like that! My wife has learned to recognize "the look" I get and tells me "Let it go, it isn't worth it!"🤣
🤣🤣

AUSTA

Reaction score
There's plenty of them at a show guy says that's not original it been modified the rear of the car is to short is has been cut A66 340 with black stripe or look he has cut the snorkels off the air cleaner ,other ones say that car didn't come out with dual drive belt pullies or he has added dual exhaust tips to that . oh the uneducated!

JWILLI13

Reaction score
I've heard a LOT of goofy stuff said at car shows. My favorite has always been the guy who knows it all when it comes to Mopars and goes on about stuff like "Yeah, back in the day I used to have a 440 Hemi with a 6 Pack setup and factory headers, nobody could beat that car!" and other B.S. like that! My wife has learned to recognize "the look" I get and tells me "Let it go, it isn't worth it!"🤣
🤣🤣
Actually... I did own a Hemi 4-Speed. It was all black and a Track Pack car (Challenger R/T). Oh. I miss that car. (Parents made me sell it as they were paying for college. Something about if you can afford a piece of **** like that then you can afford to pay for your own damn college.) (One of my biggest regrets ever. Next to marrying my first wife.) I bought it for $2K and sold it for $2.5K. Yupper. Back in 1975. LOL! Now. I do know that there is an after market set up for the Hemi and it is a 6-Pack. Not my cup o tea. I like originality.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
You can input your broadcast sheet in this decoder for a 1970 E-Body and it will create documents that will help you with identifying what you have. Do the best you can to make it match up everything when inputting the letters/numbers since the 1972 broadcast sheet differs from the 1970. The site may eventually build decoders for the other model years so everyone can get the full decode of their sheet.
It will not be completely accurate since the decoder is 1970-specific but at least you will have something to compare to other websites that tell you what each alphanumeric option is for 1972.
The basic information at the top of the broadcast sheets did not change much over the 1970-1974 E-Body model run.
The car below is one of the few I found on the Internet with no vinyl top and Rallye Wheels (W21). I edited out the 340 hood emblems and the fender mounted turn signals (A01 light pkg) from photo since your Rallye has a 318 without the A01.

Share photos of the car as it is now as we all like to see what everyone is working with.
1643870258258.png

340challconvert

Reaction score
Joe, A few notes on your car from the build sheet; 1972 Rallye Challenger built in Hamtramck w a June 21 build date.
FY1 = Banana Yellow, with the V6X (black side stripe,)
E44 is a 318 w the 34 trans (standard duty).
T86 tires = F-70-14.
Torsion bars 778-779 and S13 suspension = heavy duty suspension (same T bars used on a 340 and 383 in 70-71) (my 70 Challenger A66 has the same bars)
Coded for the sport hood (J54)
W21 = rallye wheels w trim rings.
You have a really great Challenger; Enjoy her! :thumbsup:

Mr Cuda

Reaction score
If someone could pm me the contact for who is making fender tags, I'd appreciate it.
Besides Galen, not sure he is even in the game at this point. I got one from him before, and the vetting was arduous.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
I messaged tomjan_coop with a lot of info. Here are a few JS23G2B tags showing what is typical on a 1972 Rallye. Your Broadcast Sheet has everything needed to identify and properly make a tag but what goes on the tag and what does not requires some research to get it right the first time. An example would be the N23 - Electronic Ignition which is optional for a 318 but standard on a 340. Your sheet has the optional N23 on Line 11 so that should definitely be on your tag. The assembly line workers had to look at the Broadcast Sheet to know what to install so the N23 code let them know to put the special bracket, Electronic Ignition module, and the correct engine harness on the firewall.

JS23G2B220281.jpg JS23G2B225525.jpg JS23G2B284005.jpg

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
If someone could pm me the contact for who is making fender tags, I'd appreciate it.
Besides Galen, not sure he is even in the game at this point. I got one from him before, and the vetting was arduous.
PM sent.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
The info from your decoded Broadcast Sheet for a fender tag is below.
Dash VIN Plate.jpg
Fender Tag Decode Entry.jpg
Screenshot 2022-02-05 121917.jpg
Screenshot 2022-02-05 121958.jpg
The J54 is actually the Sport Hood a.k.a. "Rallye Hood" and the V6X is the Rallye Strobe Stripe.

Last edited:

tomjan_coop

Reaction score
Really thanks for all the info! I will not be making a "show car", so I don't really care much about having the tag. I was more just compiling all the info I can about the car so I don't buy/order parts that do not match it. JWILlI13, you are 100% correct in your deciphering of the VIN.
Right now I am just disassembling the entire car, organizing, taking pictures and bagging everything. I found a person to soda blast the entire car and he will epoxy prime the entire thing when done. Then I can start my metal replacement work. It will just be nice to start from new. I was looking at all the grinding, cleaning, priming and it was overwhelming, haha.
In 3-5 years, maybe it will be back on the road.

tomjan_coop

Reaction score
So you don't care about it being 100% correct as you already said you were changing the brakes etc... but don't want to order parts that don't match the build sheet ?? Confused.
Haha, sorry for the confusion. In my reading on many different threads, the fender tag was mentioned a lot with information about the car. I am new to these specific cars and have a lot to learn. It is going to be a resto-mod with some things staying original (paint for sure). I am not going high horsepower or anything crazy and will probably keep the 318 with some top end work for some added ponies. I was most interested in information about the car for ordering original parts or finding parts used that will fit the car. It was little things like ordering a new wiring harness - at first I didn't know if I had the rally dash or not. Again, I have a lot to learn. My dad always called it an RT, which is not correct, but it is nice to know the car is in fact a Rally.
This thread definitely sparked way more information than I was expecting to gain, which I really appreciate.
The picture MoparCarGuy posted is spot on and what I remember it looking like when I was a kid.

So, sorry for any confusion. I REALLY appreciate all the great info this sparked. Some pics of where she sits now.

Attachments

• IMG_7668.jpg
    IMG_7668.jpg
    561.3 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_7669.jpg
    IMG_7669.jpg
    558.8 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_8372.jpg
    IMG_8372.jpg
    561.7 KB · Views: 119
Back