• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

More power for my 360

Cuda360

Reaction score
Hello, I recently got a 74 Cuda with a 360-4 barrel. I'm hoping to get some more power but don't really want to spend thousands on crank, pistons, heads etc. I was thinking cams. Will that do anything noticeable without the aforementioned stuff. I also will likely do the obligatory carburetor and headers. Any advice in this matter will be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Robert

AdamR

Reaction score
A cam and header swap can make you some extra power. Are you running the stock thermoquad on it now ? If you are and plan to change carbs you will need an intake also.

What gears and tranny does the car have in it ?

burntorange70

Reaction score
A cam, intake, carb, and headers is the most cost effective way to make more power. Hot roding 101 at it's best. A free flowing exhaust would not hurt either. Some thing like a 2.5 inch with an H or X crossover would be good.

Cuda360

Reaction score
A cam and header swap can make you some extra power. Are you running the stock thermoquad on it now ? If you are and plan to change carbs you will need an intake also.

What gears and tranny does the car have in it ?

Thanks for the info. The engine is completely stock from top to bottom. The trans is the 727, not sure about the gears. That seems like something I should know. Just to clarify, in case it makes a difference, I'm not looking for a high powered drag racer, I just want the car to be able to get out of the way if necessary. A heavy car with what seems to me a heavily restricted powerplant equates to me not even being able to get the tires loose. Perhaps I've been spoiled by my other car. Anyway, the answers are in line with what I suspected; more air and more fuel equals more power.
Thanks fellas

71solo2challenger

Reaction score
What's hurting you the most with your 360 is compression. A good cam to help build cyl pressure is a must. The tight converter isn't doing you any favors either.

If you're just going to stick with induction, exhaust and cam, you're leaving a lot on the table. You're just 10 bolts away (per side) from a head swap (or at least having some work done). You could possibly have the heads milled .020" (reasonable) to bump compression, and/or run a thin head gasket and that'll give the engine more pop.

Talk to a cam house about this and have them help you pick out a cam for this combo.

I was going to do the same with my 2bbl 318, but then decided I was going to be too disappointed when I was done, so I'm in the process of a complete rebuild of a 360 and then swap motors.

Just my 2¢

Cuda360

Reaction score
Hmmm, I though about heads as well but the price deterred me a little. It sounds like I need to visit an engine builder to find out what the best combination would be in my price range. Thanks for all the thoughts.

Cranky

Reaction score
Do a compression check and see what your PSI is. Swapping heads with low compression pistons isn't very cost effective for the end result. 10-1 with great quench will do more wonders but that will require a piston AND head swap. Cams are made that will increase cylinder pressure in the lower rpm range but the trick there is to stay within a reasonable boundary. Too much will cause ping issues and if your cooling system isn't doing a good job, it amplifies the problem. So, find out everything about your car before talking to people about cams. I like custom ground cams myself even on a close to stock engine. Off the shelf cams are usually based on GM technology so talk to someone that speaks Mopar. Damon at http://www.diamondbackengines.com/ is among the best in the business and is a down to earth guy but be ready to tell him everything about the car including the rear gear ratio.

Back