• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

MSD 6A box ignition wire problem

422cuda

Reaction score
I am installing a MSD 6A ignition box in my 72' barracuda and am having a problem finding a power source to splice the boxes ignition power wire into. Everywhere that has power with the key in the "on" position, loses power when I crank the engine over. I read that you can splice the two wires for the ballast resistor, but that loses power also when you crank the engine over. Called MSD and they were no help! They told me to run it down to the starter solenoid, but that loses power when the key is in the "on" position. Can anyone help me with this problem.?

422cuda

Reaction score
Thanks for the diagram. I am running a MSD distributor and coil also. I was also told to splice the blue ballast wire and the original brown coil wire together, and then connect the ignition wire from the MSD box to those wires. The brown only has power during cranking and the blue only has power on the run position. Does this sound right to you?

Tonker1

Reaction score
If you're using the stock tach you'll probably find the MSD digital ignition will give strange rev readings, to resolve this you'll require an MSD 'tach adaptor'.

73 kooda

Reaction score
I had to combine the two wires coming out of the Ignition... Blue N brown sound right ... You would think MSD would know about this by now.. Pretty sure Leo helped me with same question .. You might be able to search my threads and see ..if it don't work I'll crawl my butt under the Dash... So those two wires combine with the power from the distributor And go to your 6A Box

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Both blue & brown go to the ballast & there is a pigtail with the MSD to plug into both terminals & connect to the red trigger wire for the MSD

73 kooda

Reaction score
Both blue & brown go to the ballast & there is a pigtail with the MSD to plug into both terminals & connect to the red trigger wire for the MSD

I removed my ballast as I now have all electronic ignition .. I got a ready to run dizzy from MSD...if you dont have points you don't need the ballast anymore.. But now my ignition switch went out in the column. Ordered the part, should be here soon . I know it's the switch cause we bypassed it and she came back to life!!!.... Haven't looked yet, but does anyone know (I'm sure someone does) if the column seperAtes or do I need to pull the wheel off??.... Haven't been on in a while .... Got divorced ... Kept my welders, my Mopar and my happiness!!!... But it cost me half my retirement !!!... Ugh!!... Hope everyone's been doing well!!!

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
you have to pull the wheel & remove the lock plate & upper column piece to get to the switch

73 kooda

Reaction score
Damn! I was afraid you were gonna say that! .... I guess i may as well order the steering wheel i want since i gotta pull it anyay...i just gotta check with the wif.....er....thats right I CAN BUY WHAT I WANT!!!! .... Right after i pay my child support and alimony!!!..... Ugh!!!!... The cost of freedom!!!
Thanks for the info chryco!

Back